Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow fuel leak

Hey everyone,

Tucked the boat in for the winter this year (1997 Tige PRE2150WT DD), properly winterized, almost a full tank of gas with Stabil in it. I have it stored under cover in my barn but still exposed to the cold temperatures (sometimes up to -20C).

All was good until December when we got our first cold snap. Walked by the boat and had a strong smell of fuel coming from it. Jumped in and sure enough fuel in the bilge. I cleaned it all up and waited to see if I would get any more, after a couple days I had another small pool of fuel sitting there. Checked my fuel lines as far as I could see underneath the fuel tank which is in the very back of the boat. No visible leaks anywhere that I could see, pretty tight in there tho.

I figure I will need to tear apart the back of the boat to trace what looks like a small leak from a hose or fitting? Any thoughts or things to look for? Any help is appreciated.

Original fuel lines? If so, they may finally be toast. Its an aluminum tank and if its leaking, its going to be a pain to fix. There is the supply line at the bottom of the tank (I think the 2150 had it low) and then the return line at the top. That should be about it on the tank. Then the vent and fill line.
    Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by KoolAid View Post
      Original fuel lines? If so, they may finally be toast. Its an aluminum tank and if its leaking, its going to be a pain to fix. There is the supply line at the bottom of the tank (I think the 2150 had it low) and then the return line at the top. That should be about it on the tank. Then the vent and fill line.
      I am assuming it is the original fuel line. I have owned the boat for 1.5 years.

Yes, it is an aluminum tank. You are saying it would be the fuel line that would be leaking not the actual tank correct? Sounds like I will have to rip the whole tank out to change the fuel lines?

Comment

That age of a boat and with an aluminum tank, could be either a rubber hose or tank.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

You shouldn't have to pull the tank to get to the line. There will be a false floor to pull out somewhere. Its been way too long and I do not remember exactly.
          The aluminum tank can crack over time. Hopefully this isn't the case. Maybe the hose is bad or the fitting just needs to be tightened into the tank. Wish you luck on this one.
          Oh Yeah!

Comment

Does it have a fuel water separator?

Comment

Originally posted by KoolAid View Post
              You shouldn't have to pull the tank to get to the line. There will be a false floor to pull out somewhere. Its been way too long and I do not remember exactly.
              The aluminum tank can crack over time. Hopefully this isn't the case. Maybe the hose is bad or the fitting just needs to be tightened into the tank. Wish you luck on this one.
              Hoping it's the hose. Haven't pulled the whole ski locker apart yet but good to know I should be able to access from there!

Comment

Originally posted by tigemech View Post
                Does it have a fuel water separator?
                There is a fuel filter yes but the leak is not coming from there. It seems like it is coming from in behind the tank. Will be pulling out the ski locker sometime this week and hopefully just a hose or fitting!

Comment

Sorry md, its gonna be the tank. Most likely one of the lower corner welds or where it rests on the rubber strips. Honestly, if you don't find a leak somewhere else, drain it and get me dimensions. I have a tank builder for us who can make you a new unit exactly like yours. Those tanks are easy rectangles only 8" deep and almost the width of the boat so I would guess shipped it should be around $500 or less. PM me if you need more info. -Cory
                  Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Yes, looks like it the tank unfortunately. Pulled the fuel line yesterday and had some gas sitting there this morning. Damn!

Comment

Now that I knew it was 99.9% the tank, and the weather warmed up a bit I decided now was a good time to drain and rip it out. I play hockey with a guy who does custom welding work and will drop it off to him this afternoon to see what he thinks (fix or build a new one). The wheels are now turning if I should change the fuel tank size/shape like Nickypoo did for a ballast mod of my own since I have everything ripped out already!! Pictures below.

unnamed (1).jpg unnamed (2).jpg
                      unnamed (3).jpg unnamed.jpg

Comment

The issue with fixing a corroded tank hole, is the rest of the tank inside, likely is in the same condition. Only time to when the next spot starts leaking.

No offense, but the only ones benefited by ethanol blended fuel, are those in the corn biz and fuel refiners.
                        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I hear ya. I will talk to him about that but that is why I am not just putting some pressure on it, finding the leak and JB welding it. I figure he could probably cut out the bottom where it is leaking and weld a new bottom on. If he thinks its past repair then I am sure he could just build a new tank.

Just happy this was found in the winter when I actually have time to get it fixed rather than mid summer when we are on the lake!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X