Fuel pump? 2002 21V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel pump? 2002 21V

This past weekend after a long day of learning to hydrofoil, the engine in my 2002 21V (350 Merc MPI), just died. We had stopped to swim for a minute before heading back to the dock, the engine started right up but once under way it died and didn't restart. I noticed when trying to restart, I wasn't hearing the fuel pump priming, so I assume the issue is related to the fuel pump. Looking for recommendations, does the fuel pump need to be replaced or could there be something else going on here? Is there any guidance on here for replacing the fuel pump? Thank you in advance for any help on this issue!

Check the fuse for the fuel pump, its located engine aft, boat forward on yours on the starboard side of the BOAT on the engine, just behind the mounted relays. It's mounted on a fuse holder that has a black cover and has 6 wires of pink and red going into the bottom in a row. The fuel pump fuse is the middle 10 amp. Have someone turn the key to the "on" position, not start, and listen for a soft "click" in the relay as well. If the relay clicks but no fuel pump activation and the fuse is intact check for power at the fuel pump wire harness connection. The pump is located on the starboard side of the boat engine forward motor mount and the wire harness connection comes from the back of the pump and is about 12" up that wire. If the pump is dead, it's sold as a kit now but you should also get a new regulator and fuel fitting for the regulator as they tend to break during removal.
    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Baoatwakes, thank you for the super fast response! When I return to the boat this weekend I’ll follow your recommendations and report back.

Comment

That was it! Little 20 amp fuse. It wasn’t the center fuse, it was on the outside of the block, the one on the right of the photo. Also note, all three fuses are 20 amp. Thanks so much for the guidance!

Comment

Reviving my post.
          So the fuel pump fuse fixed the issue at the end of last season but today the pump must have finally crapped out. Today I replaced all the fuses and the solenoid seems to be clicking, but the pump isn’t priming.

Boatwakes mentioned above that the pump comes as a kit. What’s included? And, how important is the fuel regulator when doing the repair?

The pumps I see on the net are just a pump and harness. What else do I need?

Comment

So I’ve ordered the pump only which should be in today. There’s a non-threaded fitting at one end of the pump, does anyone know where to get replacement o-rings for the brass fitting?

And it’s recommended to add heat conducting grease to the pump mounting plate, any recommendations where I should get this stuff?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

I'm sure Amazon or computer store (like newegg) will have something. I just know what weight they use?
              Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Mercruiser o-ring part number #25-805063, you'll need 4 of them. Heat conductive paste comes with the mercruiser kit but you can scrape it off the old unit and reuse it.
                Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Thanks for the response guys. I got the “Amazon” pump installed. I sourced new o-rings from the auto parts store but wasn’t able to source the heat conducting past locally, I’ll have to order some. The pump works but it’s noticeably louder than the factory pump. I hope it lasts. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by SATige View Post
                    Reviving my post.
                    So the fuel pump fuse fixed the issue at the end of last season but today the pump must have finally crapped out. Today I replaced all the fuses and the solenoid seems to be clicking, but the pump isn’t priming.

Boatwakes mentioned above that the pump comes as a kit. What’s included? And, how important is the fuel regulator when doing the repair?

The pumps I see on the net are just a pump and harness. What else do I need?
                    So did you replace the regulator too.I have only been able to find one of them and it is $160.Would rather replace now while I have the whole pipe out. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by SATige View Post
                      Thanks for the response guys. I got the “Amazon” pump installed. I sourced new o-rings from the auto parts store but wasn’t able to source the heat conducting past locally, I’ll have to order some. The pump works but it’s noticeably louder than the factory pump. I hope it lasts. Thanks again for the help.
                      hijack alert! lol....

Looking for some fellow boaters out here! New to San Antonio and been out on Medina a few times. Let me know when you go out and where! Always looking for a driver as most the people I bring out are not boater nor surfer savvy.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X