No announcement yet.

My first time winterizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone ever used one of these on an inboard?

Basically you hook up the garden hose to it, and fill the jug with antifreeze. You start the boat and toggle the input to the water setting. The boat then heats up. Once it hits operating temp you switch it over to the antifreeze side and it takes antifreeze. You shut it down once it is spitting pink.

The only downside I can see is you likely end up with an antifreeze/water blend as opposed to straight antifreeze. I'm just curious if anyone uses these and if they are worth the investment. It would be a bit easier to ensure the engine is hot when it takes in the antifreeze.

Comment

The concept is easy and simple, but the RV/marine AF is not meant to be diluted with water. There is no way to know to what ratio you diluted it to. How much water stayed in the block and how much AF purged right to the exhaust cause the block is full and the thermostat closed when the cold AF hit it.

Safest bet, drain system of all water, then introduce AF to an empty system. The above jug or similar can still be used, just not with fresh water supply to warm engine first.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I have used this for last two years, 08 z1 with 5.7 gm vortec, it will hold 5 gallons, run my motor for about 15 min or up to 145 temp, shut off the water and open the fitting for the antifreeze, could probably get by with 4 gallons or maybe even less but I run all 5 in, shut it off and I'm done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My boat sits in cold storage in North Dakota and have not had any problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnieMo View Post
            I don't think that thread lock was used. I would check except I made a minor tactical error. Any idea what what might have been?

Can I use this pic on my facebook? just want the pic, not going to mention names, location, etc. Just want a pic of a boat with snow?
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I use one of the heater hoses after I have drained Block , manifolds and transmission and cooler. Also remove water strainer. I fill the heater hose until antifreeze comes out of the connection on the top of the intake. It takes approximately 3 gallons. Chpthril is dead on with the mixing of antifreeze and water. No matter how long you run the engine water will still be in it. Just because you see antifreeze coming out doesn't mean it's not mixed. A perfect example is to open a jug of regular antifreeze for cars and then open a 50/50 mix jug . Can you see the difference in color? With the RV antifreeze being pink and not having as much protection as car antifreeze I surely wouldn't risk that technique.
              I do all my own stunt work. hey ya'll watch dis.

Comment

My first time winterizing

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                Can I use this pic on my facebook? just want the pic, not going to mention names, location, etc. Just want a pic of a boat with snow?
                Lol. Sure. I love being an example for others. (Thanks for asking btw)

On the topic of antifreeze.... I know everyone is afraid of cutting their antifreeze with water. But even though it won’t be liquid at -50C anymore it also won’t be solid. It turns to a gel. I plan to do a test this winter to prove it. Gel won’t bust an engine block.

With that being said, when it’s MY $80k boat I’ll use the straight antifreeze. :P
                Last edited by JohnnieMo; 10-14-2017, 03:46 AM.

Comment

After a long and very cold winter I finally got the boat running here in Calgary. I used my fake-a-lake to bring it up to operating Temp with no issues. I guess this means my winterizing was a success!

I did find that my new FAE leaked a lot right where it meets the boat. I don't thing this is an issue but I'm curious what others think.

Took this opportunity to try out my new fluid extractor also.

The pneumatic feature is pretty awesome. I started by going down the dipstick but it was sucking a lot of air and taking forever. After that I hooked it up to the drain line and that got the rest.

In the end it sucked out about 3.5L and I put 5 back in before it was full. That seemed odd to me but oil never seems to add up. (And yes I ran the engine after adding 4L). I'll have to keep an eye on it. I used Royal Purple 15w40.

I just need to swap the impeller and install the bags. That should be all!

Comment

It’s normal for the FAE to “leak” there as that’s the drain hole so water doesn’t sit in the low spot of your pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
                      It’s normal for the FAE to “leak” there as that’s the drain hole so water doesn’t sit in the low spot of your pipe.
                      Oh! I do remember that hole there from install. I guess I assumed it was leaking at the union. I didn't look very close. Mystery solved!

Comment

Definitely use the drain pan connection to get the oil out. Much easier and faster. I usually pump as much as possible until you get air. Let everything sit for about 30 mins and try again once the oil has settled on the bottom again for the last bit.

Comment

I made up a video on how to change the impeller in my EX343. I know most don't need this, but when I was searching YouTube I couldn't find many good videos. So I made one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZx2YTuwH5g

If you see any horrible errors, let me know so I can correct my boat and the video

Comment

Working...
                          X