Ignition switch tumbler on 06 24 Ve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition switch tumbler on 06 24 Ve

The center piece (I'm told its called a "tumbler") pulled out of my ignition switch with the key in it. I can slide it back in and it works, but it just as easily slides out. Has anyone ever just replaced this "tumbler" or do you have to replace the whole ignition switch? Someone told me you can. Man I hate to take off all those wires on the back of that thing! I cant find any info on what kind (make, model) of ignition switch it is but am wondering if I can just purchase the tumbler and key instead of buying the whole ignition switch. Took it to local chain auto parts store and they didnt have anything like it. Does anyone know the make and model of the ignition switch on my 2006 24 Ve? I cant find any markings and cant find any threads that mention this issue or that has any specific info on the ignition switch. Might not be much diffferenc in price between a tumbler and the complete switch, IDK. Any help appreciated.

Ive taken apart a number of auto key cylinders, but never a boat cylinder. Sounds like a retainer clip broke. Odds of sourcing a replacement for what ever broke, is going to be slim. If its repairable, you will likely have to remove it from the boat anyway. IMO, id just get a whole new cylinder assembly and install it. Find the terminal designations and swap the wires one at a time. Just make sure to disconnect the battery grounds.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Ditto on chpthril's comments. I'll add that a few such keyswitches that I've worked on had a screw in the back instead of a C-clip, which might make for a really easy fix. Or you may be able to find the appropriate sized C-clip at a smaller local hardware store (not a big box store) that has those rows of Hillman hardware knick knacks. Amazing what they have in those boxes! I can wander there for hours, wondering how I could use this-or-that oddly shaped part....

Comment

Thanks. I ended up replacing the whole thing. It in fact was the little spring loaded c clip at the back of the tumbler that was missing. No one had such a thing.

Comment

Working...
        X