Cracked tower Weld. 08 RZ2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracked tower Weld. 08 RZ2

Has anyone had this issue? Not sure the name/tower it's an extreme I think. We got back from Table Rock Lake, great time by the way.
    Noticed two cracks on the front part of the tower the goes from one side to the other.
    Can anyone that can weld aluminum fix this? Not sure exactly how this happened we are pulling a boarder when I hit a pretty big double up.
    How concerned should I be after the repair if it can be repaired?
    Not exactly how I wanted end vacation.
    Also on the way home lost one of the top black support knobs. Anyone know where I can get one of them? I think they have been replaced before they don't look like the other support levers.

Thanks
    Sam
    Attached Files
    15 Escalade ESV-Black
    08 RZ2-Blue

Any welder that can work with aluminum should be able to fix it pretty easy. You may need to pull your wires for the speakers and lights so they don't melt in the tube. I have the same tower on my 07 that looks like it was cracked and repaired by a previous owner and i have a new small crack starting that i'll need to get fixed sometime. Not sure about yours but my tower shakes quite a bit which i think might contribute to the cracks.

As for the knobs if your talking about those silver ratcheting handles for the tower, i found replacements at Mcmaster-Carr that were about 1/4 the price of getting them from Tige.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/123/2254/=18xdrax
    Last edited by retox1; 08-13-2017, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by retox1 View Post
      Any welder that can work with aluminum should be able to fix it pretty easy. You may need to pull your wires for the speakers and lights so they don't melt in the tube. I have the same tower on my 07 that looks like it was cracked and repaired by a previous owner and i have a new small crack starting that i'll need to get fixed sometime. Not sure about yours but my tower shakes quite a bit which i think might contribute to the cracks.

As for the knobs if your talking about those silver ratcheting handles for the tower, i found replacements at Mcmaster-Carr that were about 1/4 the price of getting them from Tige.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/123/2254/=18xdrax
      Retox1
      Thanks for the response. I will be checking with a couple welders ok n Monday.

For the knob here is one from the other side and after looking at it's not original.
      Also add pic of what's on the bottom which is close to the link you sent. So you have those types on the top brace also?

Thanks

Sam

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
      15 Escalade ESV-Black
      08 RZ2-Blue

Comment

My tower doesnt have those black knobs. All the holes top and bottom and at the hinge point have the L shaped ratcheting handles. I kinda like them because you can really crank them down tight. I would assume Mcmaster carr will have something to replace the black knobs if you like them.

I looked up the size and its 3/8 x 16NCT on my tower. Mcmaster carr didnt have the right length so i ordered longer ones and cut them to length. They also don't look exactly like the ones from Tige but close enough.

Comment

I recommend the ratcheting knobs but you can find the plastic ones at Ace Hardware

Comment

I had cracks like that repaired on my tower. I completely removed it to avoid any potential of burns on the interior. I just monitor the areas of repair. This was a year ago and it had been solid since. My tower is an aluminum tube tower like yours. Good luck.

Comment

Mine cracked right above where the tower attaches to the hull in front of the windshield 2 summers ago. I took the pieces off the boat because it was fairly convenient due to the location. Not sure that is a viable option based on where yours is cracked but you are definitely going to want to pull any wires out (I recommend leaving a fish tape or piece of cable in the tower to make running it back through easier).
              You can see where the heat discolored the aluminum.

The welder ground off the factory weld to ensure there was not an issue with having a different alloy rod.

IMG_4022.jpg

Comment

dj2 thanks for the info. I was looking at the wires tonight.
                Thoughts on how to get the power wire for the tower light.
                I can't seem to get it to separate. It turns a little bit but that's it. Has to be a trick to it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
                15 Escalade ESV-Black
                08 RZ2-Blue

Comment

I have replaced the bulb but never removed the socket, hopefully someone here can chime in.

Comment

We have taken this tower off and had it welded before at our shop as well(outside shop did the welding). While tower was off it became obvious the tower bases were loose. Front legs had loctite nuts on studs, but the problem was the stud was vibrating out of foot at the deck. Removed and loctite stud, re-install. Rears amazingly weren't thru bolted. I kid you not the deck was simply threaded thru the glass on both sides.
                    Dramatically reduced the amount that tower could be racked side to side. Would look into all four bases and their tightness in addition to getting the cracks welded.

Comment

I reinforced ours with large gussets.

Comment

Update, Tower was welded. All is good will have to take it out and see how it holds.
                        15 Escalade ESV-Black
                        08 RZ2-Blue

Comment

Working...
                        X