Idle control!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle control!

My mechanic replaced mine with a NAPA product that sucks! Can anyone offer an OEM replacement venue please?

Never seen one do that while installed. The bore is typically not long enough for this to happen. its a GM engine, so a delco unit will work just need to find the correct part number.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
      Never seen one do that while installed. .
      Never seen one do what?

Thanks.....

Comment

My local shop replaced this with a NAPA 2-1866 valve and the boats keeps dying at speed. Will start right up again only to stall at speed with a few minutes again and again.

I will not allow this marina to touch my boat ever again. Simple enough R&R if I locate the correct part.

Comment

and the boats keeps dying at speed
          The idle air control valve only regulates idle. Once the engine is off idle, your stalling at speed is something else. Likely nothing wrong with your original IAC or that napa IAC.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Ok, thanks! Since coming back from service the horn will go off at speed and then stop until I change speeds then it'll go off once again and may stop only to go off soon enough...any clues as to what I should look for ?

Comment

Could be any number of things but would start by taking a meter out when it happens. See if reason horn is coming on is if switch is internally shorting when it happens. If not then move to horn. If it's getting 12v and it's not from the switch would guess a short to power. Would look for a chaffed spot on horn wire where it's chaffed against a constant 12v. Would guess for you year it would be an orange wire on horn. It would most likely be shorted to a red or possibly purple wire.
              Just a guess though, electrical can always be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
                Could be any number of things but would start by taking a meter out when it happens. See if reason horn is coming on is if switch is internally shorting when it happens. If not then move to horn. If it's getting 12v and it's not from the switch would guess a short to power. Would look for a chaffed spot on horn wire where it's chaffed against a constant 12v. Would guess for you year it would be an orange wire on horn. It would most likely be shorted to a red or possibly purple wire.

Thanks...I'll investigate this.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
                  im guessing by horn he means the engine alarm, not the actual boat horn. Especially being he says he is having other issues

Comment

A constant alarm is only one of three things: engine overheat, low oil pressure or high transmission temp. Any one of those would cause the engine to go to limp mode. A single or double beep every minute is a sensor issue, some will cause a limp condition and others will just alarm. Could you give some clear and concise information on the fact symptoms you're experiencing? I'm confused by the wording of your last post but have the idea you're getting an alarm at speed.
                    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Just started the boat after a week of sleeping.....idled for a bit then at temp, ran to 5K on the Tach...alarm sounded immediately. Pull back on the power, the alram will silence then intermittently, come on and off again.

Oil and tranny fluid good. Engine temp was on the low side?

I found the issue with dying at speed. The marina once again didnt put the boat back together after work and left the breather hose off of the carb! Needless to say, I will never visit Off shore marina in northern NJ again.

Comment

The alarm at 5k is the ECM screaming about NEUTRAL OVERSPEED. The engine should never see rpm over 4400 when fully loaded anyway but will set a code in the computer for the neutral overspeed of anything over 3000. Are you still getting an alarm? And if yes, does it sound a beep or two beeps every minute? If so, there's a sensor issue. Keep us posted.
                        Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Jumping in to say it's nice to see one of the very few switch CI's!
                          Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by boatwakes View Post
                            The alarm at 5k is the ECM screaming about NEUTRAL OVERSPEED. The engine should never see rpm over 4400 when fully loaded anyway but will set a code in the computer for the neutral overspeed of anything over 3000. Are you still getting an alarm? And if yes, does it sound a beep or two beeps every minute? If so, there's a sensor issue. Keep us posted.
                            Been away, but I'll check this out this weekend, TY.

I did have a NEW Tach installed end of last season.

Comment

Originally posted by KoolAid View Post
                              Jumping in to say it's nice to see one of the very few switch CI's!
                              Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X