ZF 45 trans and vdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZF 45 trans and vdrive

Hey has anyone gone away from ATF in this Transmission? Ive seen a service bulletin from mastercraft on the ZF68 saying they changed to 15w40 to quite it down. According to the ZF manual both these transmission fall under the same lubricant class?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is your zf 45 coupled to an Indmar. Believe they issued a bulletin as well to address noise complaint. Want to say they recommended a straight 30 or 40 but can't remember. Do you have an especially whiny boat??

Comment

I know my 08, when put in reverse ins very whiny. I believe I have this trans. My old 21 V with the velvet drive. You could barely hear the thing.
      It was a bit of a shock when I heard this one.
      If I can change it for heavy weight that would be awesome.
      Thanks,
      Sam
      15 Escalade ESV-Black
      08 RZ2-Blue

Comment

ZF 45 trans and vdrive

14 Z3 and have the same thoughts on the whine. Seems to be louder than it should be. @Freeheel4life do you happen to have a copy of the bulletin or can you point us in the direction to view it?

Comment

Take a video of the sound. A few other people on here have similar problems.

Check this out. http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...in-R20-and-FAE

Comment

av8tor-
            have a thumb drive full of indmar goodies. little busy tonight(have to take two customer boats to the lake) but will try my hardest to go through it and find it on there.

Comment

My research on this subject suggested that you should only run ATF in the trans but you can run a 30 weight in the drive portion if you want to without issue.

Comment

Thank you! I checked with Larry @ Indmar and he said "the bulletin was issued in 2001 for another transmission and Dexron is still the fluid of choice for the ZF45IV."

Comment

No it's a marine power 5.7. Ive seen the bulletin from indmar that's why I'm asking.

https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...5&d=1432180704

Comment

Just pretend its a honda civic 5 spd Seriously. Gear whine in reverse I guess could be the gear cut on the v-drive gears. More quite and better wear forward but the trade off is noise in reverse.
                    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

IMG_0371.jpg

Comment

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ufzgtp39v1...81%29.pdf?dl=0

Both the ZF45iv and the mastercraft ZF68 have the same lubrication class 04D according to the ZFHurth manual.

Would make sense to me that we could switch?!?

Comment

Strottier57
                          Did you make the switch to 30 weight in the drive side of the V drive? If so did it make any change in the noise?

Thanks
                          Sam
                          15 Escalade ESV-Black
                          08 RZ2-Blue

Comment

Originally posted by samw View Post
                            Strottier57
                            Did you make the switch to 30 weight in the drive side of the V drive? If so did it make any change in the noise?

Thanks
                            Sam
                            Yes I did. Didn't really change the sound. Thinking about proper gear oil. I'm going to send the drawings for the drive unit to the guys at Amsoil for a recommendation

Comment

All I know is you damn well be sure to change it annually. Condensation builds up inside and eventually it turns milky. Had to rebuild my this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X