Taking on water?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking on water?

So we used to just float around on the lake and I never noticed the bilge licking on before?

I just had one of the three tracking fins (front one) replaced and the rudder boot replaced (interior) on my Tige and noticed while tied to the dock, the bilge would come on every 20 minutes or so and run full blown for about 3-4 minutes, then turn off and repeat?

Have I gone senile or shouldn't the hull be water tight while floating unless one forgot to put the drain plug back in....

TIA,

Yes it should be water tight. There are numerous areas where water can come in. You need to get all the water out you can. Then put it in the water and start looking to find where the water intrusion is. Places to look would be at the prop shaft packing, the fins, the exhaust thru hulls, the transom bracket mounts, and any other thru hull fittings. If you have ballast bags, are they leaking? I would start there, locate the source and then decide how to fix it. Yourself or dealer.
    Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

Easiest way to find out if its a thru fitting is to put the boat on a trailer and fill the bilge with water and get under the boat and find the leak. (Assuming its a thru hull) My guess from your list of above replacements...check the rudder boot first. If your getting that much water that fast and its kicking your bilge pump on its not some little leak, and likely not a ballast bag. Fill the bilge with water will be the fastest way to figure out where the leak is coming from.
      My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Thegerman618 View Post
        Easiest way to find out if its a thru fitting is to put the boat on a trailer and fill the bilge with water and get under the boat and find the leak. (Assuming its a thru hull) My guess from your list of above replacements...check the rudder boot first. If your getting that much water that fast and its kicking your bilge pump on its not some little leak, and likely not a ballast bag. Fill the bilge with water will be the fastest way to figure out where the leak is coming from.
        Good idea...Tomorrow I will perform this method.

Comment

Working...
        X