Engine Cover Bracket and Fasteners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Cover Bracket and Fasteners

Anyone else have any problems with the screws coming out on their engine cover? I have a 2011 Tige RZR and about 5 of the screws have backed out/stripped out and will not fasten back down. i would like to replace with nut/bolt, but my boat is in storage at the lake house and i won't be able to check on clearance for nut/bolt combination for another week or two. i was wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

Are you talking about the larger main hatch on the center?? Are screws coming out of the panel at the hinge or I'm guessing the fiberglass to hinge by your post??

Comment

I'm talking about the main engine cover that opens up on two struts and is connected to the boat by a hinge. The screws that fasten through the bottom half of the hinge to the boat are stripping out. The fasteners on the top half of the hinge that connect to the engine cover are fine. Essentially, every time i open my engine cover, the bottom half of the hinge is now wobbling around because i can't get about 5 of them to tighten down anymore.

i want to replace those fasteners with a nut/ bolt combination to keep the hinge fully secured, but not sure if i have the clearance yet or if the holes the fasteners mount in are through holes.

Comment

Not 100% sure on your model. Sometimes you can thru bolt with 1/4 -20 and a nylock or lock washer and nut. Others you cant. If you cant, pull one of your screws that is stripped out and size it. Probably a #6 or #8. Then just upsize it. You will have plenty of holding material in fiberglass. Pre drill glass first and install by hand(if hole is too small you will break the screw off with your gun and have a whole other problem) Check the poundage on struts as it can cause this problem if struts are too strong. Also once they start wobbling they are usually done. So catching any loose hardware quickly will prevent it from wallowing out holes in the glass.

Comment

Working...
        X