Engine Fault Diagnostic SPN 441 FMI 3 -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Fault Diagnostic SPN 441 FMI 3 -

Received this Engine Fault yesterday on a '17 RZX3. The engine started but the buzzer would not shut off and there wasn't any suggested remedies on the screen. Shut her off, performed the start procedure again with the same results (engine started, same Engine Fault displayed). An internet search turns up a single document for SPN 441 FMI 3, but it is related to a the transfer case of a Catapillar!!! However, this document points to a voltage issue with a sensor. This being the first time out this season it's possible the batteries aren't fully charged.....although the engine turned right over.

Anybody have access to this Engine Fault code on a '17 Tige RZX3 and what it means?

Try this link and scroll down: http://www.shoptalkbyindmar.com/advisories Looks like possible temp or temp sensor issue on bank 1.

Comment

Z3 LKG,
      Indmar has already issued a service bulletin for this issue. As long as your engine S/N is below 203133 this will be covered by warranty.
      Previous model raptors had a triducer attached to raw water loop as a safety measure to verify engine was picking up raw water, but these had their issues/downsides. So now for 2017 they are running temp sensors in the exhaust on both sides. Turns out a bunch of them are going bad. Indmar is aware and seems to be taking care of it, only thing that I don't like is that if you have a engine with a S/N in the affected group of engines they won't warranty until they fail or throw a code. Get that it cuts into their bottom line to replace em all, but seems shady to not just do all affected serial#s.

597093 is the part # for new sensors. You will need 2. The "bad" sensors have an orange dot either at the Deutsch connector or on the brass resistor portion of sensor when you pull it out. Not sure if Indmar will pay out warranty to do it yourself types though. Easy enough fix though for those that are a long way from an Indmar dealer

If it happens on lake I wouldn't let it ruin your day, especially since faults are voltage high/low faults, BUT I would be monitoring my engine coolant temp on screen to verify you aren't overheating. Without trouble codes handy I do believe there are two stages of overheat warning protection. First will trigger a 20% throttle de-rate and engine DTC, second stage will cut throttle 80% and trigger a different DTC.
      Last edited by freeheel4life; 04-23-2017, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCP View Post
        Try this link and scroll down: http://www.shoptalkbyindmar.com/advisories Looks like possible temp or temp sensor issue on bank 1.
        Thanks for sharing this link.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
          Z3 LKG,
          Indmar has already issued a service bulletin for this issue. As long as your engine S/N is below 203133 this will be covered by warranty.
          Previous model raptors had a triducer attached to raw water loop as a safety measure to verify engine was picking up raw water, but these had their issues/downsides. So now for 2017 they are running temp sensors in the exhaust on both sides. Turns out a bunch of them are going bad. Indmar is aware and seems to be taking care of it, only thing that I don't like is that if you have a engine with a S/N in the affected group of engines they won't warranty until they fail or throw a code. Get that it cuts into their bottom line to replace em all, but seems shady to not just do all affected serial#s.

597093 is the part # for new sensors. You will need 2. The "bad" sensors have an orange dot either at the Deutsch connector or on the brass resistor portion of sensor when you pull it out. Not sure if Indmar will pay out warranty to do it yourself types though. Easy enough fix though for those that are a long way from an Indmar dealer

If it happens on lake I wouldn't let it ruin your day, especially since faults are voltage high/low faults, BUT I would be monitoring my engine coolant temp on screen to verify you aren't overheating. Without trouble codes handy I do believe there are two stages of overheat warning protection. First will trigger a 20% throttle de-rate and engine DTC, second stage will cut throttle 80% and trigger a different DTC.
          Thanks for this info. I've forwarded this thread to my dealer in hopes we can get this solved and back on the water without the annoying buzzer and of course without overheating...

Comment

Good info here! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            71 Cut Supreme, 70 3 Door Suburban, 08 Tahoe LTZ, 12 F21 Surf Machine!
            http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii11/onetogofast/IMG_4360.jpg

Comment

Just to follow up. My dealer changed out the sensors and all is well. My suggestion to Indmar: send each dealer a set of sensors so the boaters don't have to wait a week for them to be ordered and arrive.

Comment

Working...
              X