Thermostat Housing Parts and Order of Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermostat Housing Parts and Order of Install

Our Z1 had a heating issue at Powell last fall and we pulled off the thermostat housing at the time. In the process we destroyed a gasket. Well, since that issue occurred last fall I forgot about it and haven't ordered all the parts for the inside of the thermostat housing. Yesterday, I was reminded when I put it all back together that I was missing a flat round gasket that goes on the engine block side of the thermostat housing when you re-attach the housing. I cannot locate this part or a diagram with the part number online. Anyone know the answer?

Next, does anyone know the exact order in which to re-install a new thermostat and gasket in a 2008 Marine Power 350 CID engine?

From what I can tell, while holding the thermostat housing in hand, I need to install a gasket (#27-806871) in the housing, then thermostat (#18-3551) w/ pointed end facing into the housing, then the white plastic sleeve (#23-806922), followed up with a triangular shaped gasket (#18-0398) that goes between the housing and engine block. However, there is one space where a flat round gasket goes on the engine block side. This is the gasket we destroyed. Also, do I have the gasket and thermostat in the correct order? I assume so because you wouldn't want the metal thermostat touching the metal housing, correct?

Thanks
    Attached Files

http://marineenginedepot.com/MP/Part...ries&TCid=2000

Comment

Yes, you've got it correct. Our 22v had the same housing, and I pulled it apart many times troubleshooting heating issues.

The gasket on 'top' of the actual thermostat is more of a rubber ring; depending on your thermostat, it may already be on it. Some are a ring that floats above it, some have a groove that the edge of the thermostat sits in. I've used both without issue, and I always bought my thermostats at either NAPA or Autozone; just tell them you need a thermostat for a GM small block and the heat range you want, they should be able to find it. I always buy fail-safe thermostats as well (if they fail, they fail open, no risk of overheat).

The gasket between the housing and the block is a standard GM thermostat gasket; you can get them from any parts shop, and you can find them with the small brass inserts that help keep you from crushing it out. I actually picked up a reusable gasket (molded solid silicone bead in an aluminum carrier, Mr Gasket brand) from Autozone, it worked quite well.

The link lee gave you has everything you need as well -- I was just cheap and lazy so went to the auto store for the parts.

Comment

Thank you sir....Most appreciated...

Comment

Thank you. My only concern with putting a gasket in prior to the thermostat, is that it will appear to make the white plastic sleeve stick out of the housing by the thickness of the gasket (if this makes sense). Right now, I have everything sitting in the housing and the sleeve sits flush with the housing. And unfortunately, I have no clue what we did 7 months ago when we took this thing apart. Taking pictures at the time would have been smart, but that would have also meant giving up a beer in one hand or a wrench in the other.

Comment

I believe mine did the same -- using the gasket with the brass spacers or the replaceable gasket creates the right spacing, I never cracked mine.

Comment

Originally posted by coojac View Post
              Taking pictures at the time would have been smart, but that would have also meant giving up a beer in one hand or a wrench in the other.
              We all make our sacrifices, haha!

Comment

Working...
              X