2005 Tige Switch I ECM Fuse Blown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2005 Tige Switch I ECM Fuse Blown

I was using my 2005 Tige Switch I today. The engine skipped a few times while wakesurfing and then just stopped and wouldn't restart. I open the motorbox and noticed smoke coming from the fuse box on the top of the engine. I opened up the fuse box and one of the 15amp fuses was melted and not blown. According to the fuse box cover the ECM fuse is the one that melted. Any ideas?

You're saying the plastic around the fuse was melted but the metal link inside is still in one piece? That's rare, the sort of condition the fuse is exactly intended to prevent. I wonder if someone installed a fuse with too high of a current rating. Can you still read the numbers on the fuse? There should be a picture telling you what value should be in there - do they match?

Comment

A poor connecting between the fuse blades and the female terminals in the box can cause excessive heat and melting, and may not exceed the value of the fuse.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I inspected the circuit board inside the fusebox and there are two solder joints that are very close together (1-2mm). My guess is that over the boats 450 hours of use, the circuit board weakened just enough for the joints to touch and melt the fuse. I bypassed the problem circuit with a fused jumper wire and the engine runs fine. I would like to replace the circuit board, does anyone know where to find one for a 2005?

Comment

Can you post a photo of the PCB? FR-4 board material is very stiff and resilient; it generally doesn't become more flexible with age. Maybe we can figure out what's going on there and craft up a solution that doesn't require replacement of the board.

Comment

Working...
          X