New Owner 2000 21v limited - bilge and electrical questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Owner 2000 21v limited - bilge and electrical questions

Just bought boat from a buddy about a month ago. It's in good shape and I've enjoyed it for about a month but now I'm starting to tinker with it.

He had told me he had a new fuse panel put in by a shop. I figured it was a fuse panel for all the electronics. Well I thought something was weird when I turned the radio on the interior lights would come on. This annoyed me so I took look at this so called fuse panel. It's bolted right under the terminal strip for the buttons on the dash. Cheap little 6 fuse holder... They had 4 power cables coming from it to 4 different spots on the switch terminal (whoever did it I don't think realized that it was going to power everything at once lol). I found the the radio and the interior lights were going to the fuse panel.

I had swapped the interior lights for led ones, so I figured these probably wouldn't need a fuse so I pulled the 4 unnecessary cables between fuse terminal and switch terminal, then wired the interior lights straight to the terminal under the switch CYST LT. I think it's a bit redundant to have the fuse panel because the stereo already has a fuse for it. Why they put this in is beyond me. My question is does anyone know where I can find the wiring code/schematic for this boat. There are two other cables going to the fuse terminal that I don't know what they are and whatever they are they're being powered up at the same time as the radio. Purple/white and brown/yellow in the picture.

I'd like to eliminate it completely and if those cables aren't being used anything important id like to just rip it out. I've already ripped out some botched radio wiring.

Second question is where in the world is the bilge pump. It started raining one day while the boat was docked so I went and turned on the bilge pump. It kicked on, did it's thing and turned off. Well couple days ago I noticed a humming/buzzing sound. I was in hurry didn't pay attempting and left the boat docked for 3 days. Came back it was still going. Didn't think much of it went out and rode think maybe float was stuck and it would reseat. Well it was still going. After we rode I unplugged the neg terminal on batt. It obviously stopped. I was messing with the boat today and reconnected the neg terminals. No noise came from bilge. I turned the bilge button on and it kicked back on (boat is in my driveway). When I turned the bilge off it would turn off (before it would only come on if there was water present). A few moments later I realized the damn thing kicked back on and kept running. I tried searching for it but couldn't find it. I thought I read it was under the transmission but I didn't see it there. Is it possible the bilge is bad or just needs to be cleaned out? Any idea of location of the bilge? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my 2001 2300v the bilge is driver side below and toward the stern from the engine. Buried. I really cant get good eyes on it... but its not too bad to remove. It disengages with tabs on both short ends of the box. My float would stick after the pump would kick on. Pump is discontinued so I fixed it after I found a piece of the plastic surround was broken and allowed the float to shift. Glued in a shim and all is good.

Comment

I just replaced one in an '01 21v. It was located under the starboard rear of the motor. I had all of the interior panels pulled out. It was impossible otherwise. If you follow the hose from the outlet it'll lead you to it. You have to pull that transom panel all the way out though. Plan on replacing the hose as well. The one that was in there was impossible to reuse as it was completely inflexible. My issue was that the new pumps outlet was in a different location on the new pump body. I also relocated the pump itself just a bit to make it more accessible.
      You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

I dont have words.....................
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

^^^???
          You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

My guess is the junk smart relay module had/has some outputs not working correctly, and they tried to jump everything through one output that was. This could also be whats causing the bilge pump to do strange things. Just remove the smart relay module and change your switches out to standard toggles, and you will be far better off.

Comment

Originally posted by Peadad1 View Post
              My guess is the junk smart relay module had/has some outputs not working correctly, and they tried to jump everything through one output that was. This could also be whats causing the bilge pump to do strange things. Just remove the smart relay module and change your switches out to standard toggles, and you will be far better off.
              I had to do this a while ago when UPS lost my switch panel(s).....installed a new marine fuse block along with rocker switches....much better..

Comment

I didn't follow everything you said, but am concerned when you said you removed the fuse and wired it direct since the lights were now LEDs.

The fuse is protecting the wiring, connectors, etc, so if the fuse is not gone, it's a good way to get wires hot enough to burn...

Comment

Originally posted by ericinmich View Post
                  I didn't follow everything you said, but am concerned when you said you removed the fuse and wired it direct since the lights were now LEDs.

The fuse is protecting the wiring, connectors, etc, so if the fuse is not gone, it's a good way to get wires hot enough to burn...
                  I figured since the interior led courtesy lights, 3 of them draw such low power I'd just run them straight to the switch terminal. I'm going to order better fuse terminal so I can add more things later. So you guys have any pictures of your rocker/switch panel that you switched over to?

Comment

Working...
                  X