2016 Z3 high temp alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2016 Z3 high temp alarm

Was at the lake, when we first took off I got an alarm ( red caution sign ).

ECT Temp High 2- Engine Water flow may be restricted. Check raw water strainer for blockage and monitor engine temperature. norma

So I checked the strainer and it was plugged with some weeds, not a lot but enough. So I took it apart and cleaned it out, but I was still getting the code. I decided to go home and further investigate but can find no blockage. I flushed it out and took it back out. I still get the code, but the engine seems to be running normally at 162* F. Any ideas/ Boat has about 13 hrs on it.

Some codes have to be cleared with a computer to make them go away.

Comment

My 15 Z3 runs at 160° normally.

Comment

I'm not sure the code is the same, but before I had the sea strainer installed (which you have) I'd get a 110 code. It was debris in the cooling system messing up a sensor. Mine would go away if I recycled the battery switch. I'm assuming you did turn the battery switch on and off, so you might have a different problem.

Wishing the strainer was stock on the 15's but super glad I added it. I was getting crap in the cooling system all the time before.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubba08 View Post
          Ditto

Comment

the seacock was open right? If you have it running ont he hose in the driveway are you getting good water flow through the exhaust?

and 160 is normal running temp as the guys have said above.

Comment

It is a 110 code. Have recycled battery switch half a dozen times. Have tried running it for a while and then letting it sit, trying to get key cycles. Ran it on hose in driveway and had good flow. Wondered about something stuck on a sensor. Where is it? Haven't looked it into it that far. Must be a flow sensor? Seems to run fine otherwise. Traced the raw water intake hose on the lake all the way to the heat exchanger and seems to be flowing good to that point ( cold to the touch ). ECT temp runs at 162* will go up to 165* if i get on it, but nothing I would call alarming.

Comment

It is a flow sensor. There is a round cap on the cooling system on the aft end of the motor. Hard to get to. Open it and let water drain out to see if anything flushes out. Mine had a round keyring like safety pin on it (don't drop, PITA to retrieve from below motor). I'll try to find photos tonight.

Comment

Are you talking about the raw water pump cover?

Comment

Its a little hard to see, these were the photos Joe@Performance texted me to help find it last year. The top photo is the location. The second photo (which is sideways) is to show you what the cap looks like.

location.jpg
                    Flow sensor cap.JPG

I will tell you I sucked up so much crap one time (prior to installing the strainer) last summer the dealer had to take apart that whole assembly and clean it out. You have the strainer, I am guessing its just a little particle of something that made it past the strainer and is sitting some where in that sensor housing. Hopefully removing the cap and letting it drain out will fix it, its really hard to see if anything is caught in there.
                    Last edited by 007; 06-21-2016, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubba08 View Post
                      Same here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pulled the Cap

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                        Its a little hard to see, these were the photos Joe@Performance texted me to help find it last year. The top photo is the location. The second photo (which is sideways) is to show you what the cap looks like.

[ATTACH]43406[/ATTACH]
                        [ATTACH]43407[/ATTACH]

I will tell you I sucked up so much crap one time (prior to installing the strainer) last summer the dealer had to take apart that whole assembly and clean it out. You have the strainer, I am guessing its just a little particle of something that made it past the strainer and is sitting some where in that sensor housing. Hopefully removing the cap and letting it drain out will fix it, its really hard to see if anything is caught in there.
                        I ended up doing this on my 2016 Tige Z3, pulled the cap off. a bit hard to reach checked for debris than connected the plunger to the inlet turned it over for a couple seconds to flush it out, put the cap back on and ran it, haven't had a fault code yet, inside that cap is a couple of fins that spin when the water runs through it, I'm guessing if something gets in they stop spinning the code will go off, it can be something like a small rock, it won't stop the flow of water and the temp will be good but the code will still go off.

Comment

Working...
                        X