Random Beeps...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random Beeps...

Just started this afternoon. Every 2 or 3 minutes there will be beep beep beep... All gauges check out and boat runs fine. Does it at idle and cruising down the water. Where should I start looking?

http://www.rinda.com/marine/diacommarine.htm

Comment

Well, just got back from the shop with the boat and everything checks out with the diacom. Far as the tech was concerned everything looked great. Back to square one. It's the same beep you get from the Faria commander series gauges on startup, but it's two long beeps every couple of minutes. The tech said to scroll through the gauges and see if there are any depth alarms or something being tripped, but I found none... I don't know what to do next..

Comment

More beeps Bryan?! Still trying to figure out my misc beep as well.. will be posting a video and see if someone can help. Faria have a good customer service in trouble shooting?

Comment

We have one too and after changing the fuel pump it was great for one day, then it started again, ours is at idle and the boat dies sometimes. Took it to the shop and they gave us a water flow sensor to try and that helped but it still happen three times in one weekend, unlike the 3 times every 30 min with the old sensor so we took it back thinking it wasn't it, and it was still worse with the old sensor..

Comment

H20... This is a different beep than the one that resulted in the tach being replaced... That one started last fall and is fixed, actually sounded a lot like the one in your vid... I'll comment there in a min to try to keep these seperate.. This one just started and is different.. Instead of being a solid beep, it's only two beeps every couple minutes. Faria said to unplug the gauges separately to try to narrow it down, just haven't done that yet due to a huge sub and enclosure under the steering wheel and it's hard to get to now.. I just tun the music up and don't hear it anymore..

Guess I should probly stop being lazy and figure t out though. Based on the few different threads goin on right now related to Faria beeps, it sounds like it could be a number of different sensor, though all my gauges are fine.

Ugh...

Comment

Two long beeps......isn't that the code for new RZX??? :-)
              Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Comment

Ya I that that too... Wifey didn't bite

Just had a thought, anybody know if there would be some kind of sensor that would throw beeps if a battery was dead? The guage shows fine, but I've got three in the boat, and the two hooked together that run the amps are fine. I always switch battery selector to them when we anchor, and back to combine when I start, so I've never had a problem. Buddy reached in and turned it to the house batt yesterday to start and she wouldn't hardly click the starter.. The tech told me last Spring when I de-winterized that it was starting to get weak, but I didn't tthink anything else about it because I'm always on combine.. Even though volt guage on combine reads good, could that bad one throw something off?

Comment

Not sure what kind of boat/engine you have, Bryan, but I had a similar problem with my Mercruiser engine recently, and it turned out that I had a faulty IAC (Idle Air Control valve). It was beeping twice every minute, wasn't holding an idle very well at all. Engine temp and oil pressure were totally fine, though.

Found a replacement at an auto parts store for $55, and after about 20 minutes, the boat was good to go and has been ever since.

Comment

Hmmm... Funny you mention that, because the first time the beep happened was after a long run down the lake and when I dropped to idle it coughed for a minute, then the double beep started.. Twice since then, it's struggled to idle at initial startup on the weekend, but was fine after that. I just assumed some junk gas or something.. Maybe I need to look into this. Bet we have the same motor, merc tow sports with the black plastic cover with red stickers.. Where is the IAC on the motor?

Comment

Sounds like we've got the same engine - Mercruiser 350 Mag MPI Tow Sports. Good news for you, it's an easy fix. Here's the deal:

After a long day of surfing, we were slowly motoring back to our slip at the resort's marina when, at low speed, the engine beeped twice, and kept beeping twice every minute. Oil pressure was fine, and engine temperature was fine as well, so I was without ideas as to what it could be.

The engine definitely wasn't in "cripple mode", as I could still open up the throttle and get it on plane and beyond, but the warning sound persisted until we docked the boat and shut it down. At that point, the crew was wiped, and we headed up to the house hoping all would be well in the morning.

Of course, I know how that usually goes, and sure enough, when I cranked the starter, the engine sputtered, held an idle, but it was weak sounding like it wanted to quit, and it kept beeping twice a minute. At this point, I knew we weren't going to be able to surf that day, but I did need to take the boat out to meet someone, so I hoped a low speed cruise wouldn't be a problem. When I slid it into gear, the engine paused before engaging, but seemed to run fine in gear. Then, when I went back to neutral, it died just about every time. So, to get back to the marina, I had to start the engine, and quickly get it into gear. Then I pulled it off the water to work on it.

Diagnosis, and solution: I must have spent hours searching forums all over and reading threads on similar problems, and eventually I figured out that the Idle Air Control Valve must have failed on me. Luckily, it's an easily obtainable part from an auto store, and I found the replacement for about $55 an hour's drive away. (And just FYI, the same identical part at a marine store was more than twice the price). At the same time you purchase the IAC, you will also need to buy the gasket that fits underneath, as well as the IAC muffler, which is just a little rectangular piece of foam (see picture). I had to cut the gasket openings bigger to properly fit the space, but other than that, it was fine.

Replacement was dead easy. Just have to remove the engine cover and flame arrestor, which will give you access to the faulty IAC, which will be painted black like everything else. After removing the bolts and gasket, detach the wiring, then replace with the new one and re-attach. You can see in my picture below the new one, which is silver. The old IAC muffler can be found inside of the air intake in a small slot, and you'll probably want some needle nose pliers to grab it. You can see the grungy old one, and the new one I replaced it with by just shoving it in there.

Once everything was back together, I took the boat back to the launch and fired it up with fingers crossed. It turned over immediately, and idled like a champ. Problem solved, and I've been using it heavily for the last month without any further issues.

Here are the part numbers:
                      - Idle Air Control Valve - Mercruiser 862998
                      - Gasket - Mercruiser 27-863112 1
                      - IAC Muffler filter - Mercruiser 35-863829 3

Post a follow-up if you can. Hope this sorts your problem out.
                      Attached Files

Comment

By the way, I assumed it was junk gas, or a bad water-separating-fuel-filter, but after dumping the contents of the filter into a clear jar and finding it 100% clear, I replaced the filter anyway, which didn't make a difference, and I was back to the drawing board. Replacing the IAC solved the issue.

Comment

Dude! Awesome Info! I'm gonna get on this. Hopefully my local autozone or oreillys will have one. Thanks a ton!

Comment

Pulled it off and took it to oreillys.. Didn't have one in stock, but will have tomorrow by noon... We shall see what happens..

Comment

Well I got it installed and boat started and ran fine for the 30 seconds I was willing to idle it out of the water.. Will test it this weekend and hope the beeps are gone.. For anybody else looking to change their IAC, here's the Oreilly Auto part number that the Mercruiser number cross references to..

Comment

Working...
                              X