Engine dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine dies

Hi all, this is my first time to post. I've got a real head scratcher here. My 2004 Tige 20V with the 5.7 Marine Power engine, has died on me 7 times in the last 3 years. When I have a mechanic look at it they have found; bad fuel pump, bad ignition system (plugs, wires, rotor), bad ECM, broken wire and bad coil control module. Yet the boat just died again. In each case the components replaced were later found to be in proper working order. The times it quits have been; at speed pulling a skier, while idling around the lake and wouldn't start after shutdown for half an hour. There are no real consistent symptoms to work from. I'm at the end of my rope with this thing. To me it sounds more like a grounding problem than a component failure. Anybody have an idea where I should go from here?

When it dies, is it dead and won't restart, or will it restart after a little while?

Comment

Hope you got to keep the "bad" parts.

My thought would be an intermittent wiring or connector problem. They are a bitch to figure out...

Comment

How does it die? Instant shut off like turning the key off or caugh and choke or slowly loosing power till it shuts off?

Comment

When it dies it shuts off like the key was switched off. Normally it cranks good but will not start again until it gets some attention. This last time it restarted after a few minutes. I put it on the lift immediately. The next day I got it out, it started ok. I backed up about ten yards and it died again. I paddled it to the lift where it started up again and ran great for a couple hours of idling and high speed cruise.

Comment

Ignition relay, kill switch, or ignition, my money is on one of those.

Ignition relay is a cheap part you can grab from a local auto parts shop. Should be ontop of the motor under the plastic shield.
            Kill switch, check the spade connection behind for loose poor connection
            Ignition, same just for corrosion as well.
            My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Hey thanks, good idea. When you say ignition are you talking about the key? Those are all easy fixes and much less expensive than I've been doing so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff P View Post
                Normally it cranks good but will not start again until it gets some attention.
                What kind of attention did you give it to make it start? Sounds like you are definitely losing ignition power. You need to start checking for loose wires behind the items that the german mentioned. If you find nothing that way you need to duplicate the problem (go boating!) Take a relay with you. Once it dies, I'd first replace the relay. If that doesn't solve the problem have one person try to start it while you wiggle every wire you can touch. Remove and insert the kill switch key a few times as well. Try to wiggle those wires as well. Wiggle the wires around the engine as well.

If it's not the relay, I bet the engine will start as you are wiggling a group of wires. If that does happen, look around that area for a bad connection, or look at the individual wires.

Comment

Wiggle wires! That's something I can do while I'm waiting to be towed back to the dock. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X