Cracked Heat Exchanger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracked Heat Exchanger

Last fall my friend helped me winterize my boat (2008 RZ2) since he has always done his 2006 VE22. I took it out on a test run and it was pouring water from the heat exchanger under the dash so I'm assuming it cracked during the winter. We are both wondering if there is something we missed as our heating systems look identical? Apparently it is a continuous feed, as it only stops when the engine shuts off. I'm assuming for now I can just by-pass the exchanger by splicing the two hoses together?
    If I'm not surfing, I'm making money to surf.

Is his engine raw water cooled or closed cooling? Im guessing your engine is raw water cooled. Yes, coolant or water circulates through the core all the time. To winterize a raw water cooled heater, you got to get all the water drained out. Just draining the engine block, may not do it, may need to disconnect the core hoses and drain.

Yes, you can by pass with a barbed hose splice.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Ours are both raw water cooled, may just not have cycled enough antifreeze through the line into the exchanger. Guess I'll find out when I remove it.

Comment

RV/Marine antifreeze will not likely circulate enough through a short run at idle. You really need to drain the water from the core.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
          RV/Marine antifreeze will not likely circulate enough through a short run at idle. You really need to drain the water from the core.
          Any chance you know what part that would be? I see a 200H or 300H/400H on the Heater Craft site.

Comment

1978 Ford Van will be close to what you have.

Comment

It sounds like your friend didn't realize that your boat has a heater in it. If you don't use your heater or you need a quick fix to get on the water, just unhook the two heater lines from the motor and cap off the motor side. You can either unscrew the fittings and screw in plugs on the motor, or you can leave a short section of hose on each fitting and plug them.

If you decide to fix it, take these two lines loose next fall and blow the heater out with compressed air. I usually blow some antifreeze through it also, just to be sure it won't freeze.

Other places freeze points people often miss are hot water showers and ballast systems. Take the time to understand all the places that water enters you boat and you will be more effective winterizing it yourself. If you take it to a dealer in the future for winterizing, make sure that they know about the heater and any other equipment that can hold raw water. Many non-inboard dealers miss heaters and ballast systems when winterizing.
              Andy Nesbitt

Comment

Working...
              X