X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't turn left (2000 21v)

My 21v won't turn left any ideas

Welcome to the site!
    Steering cable? Partially frozen rudder?
    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Did look at where the cable connects to rudder?
      I had same problem second day after I bought my 22V. Not a fun drive home. Inspection of the rudder area I found a 2" circle of fiberglass/wood stuck between rudder and transom. It was a piece left in boat during manufacturing [emoji34].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I didn't see any thing blocking it. Prior to it not turning it seemed really hard to turn. I am thinking the assembly is bad. It's it something that can be done without taking it in?

Comment

Welcome to the site, yes you should be able to do the steering cable yourself its what I would call a 4 beer job. Hardest part is getting to the collar that holds the cable in place 1.25" nut if I recall right. Steering cable length I believe is 18' but you can call Tige' directly for specific Teleflex Cable Serial Number. Super Dangerous by the way if that cable breaks you wont be able to turn left or right or keep the rudder from spinning freely. Cable wasn't to expensive either, been a few years since I did it. Good luck, lots of threads on here on how to do it.
          My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Just replaced my cable today. It was super tough to turn left especially. I wasn't a 100% sure that it was the steering cable but thought it was a fairly cheap fix ($170 for the cable on Amazon with Prime). After replacing the cable the steering wheel turn easily with just one finger. There are some great writeups on the forum for changing the cable. All in all took about 3 hours from start to finish with the tear apart and put bag together. The actual time on the cable was only about 1 hour. Also changed out an impeller so that added some time to the whole project.

Comment

Here is the link.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...steering+cable

Comment

Always good to fix your own problems! If we could all be so lucky sometimes... Glad it was a do - it - 'urself - project! Those are better on the wallet (and mind). Just my "2-cents"... 25cents..

Comment

The title reminds me of a funny experience. For one of our anniversaries long ago my wife and I stayed in a nice little lake community in WAState. They had all the usual toys you could borrow, one of which was a tandem bicycle. Having never ridden one before, we chose that and my wife went in front. We started out in the parking lot and she was only turning left. Circle after circle. So I finally, gently (you husbands know what I mean!) suggested "Let's turn right".

She responded "It won't TURN right!"

With the smug certainty of an Engineer who "understands these things" , I said "Of course it will turn right. Just put some muscle into it."

"No, it won't. I've tried. The handlebars will not turn right."

"OK, stop and let me try."

So we exchanged places. While standing still I confirmed the handlebars moved freely in both directions. Yeah, I'm thinking, I've got this. "Won't turn right." Watch this, sweetheart!

So we start going again. Left works great. I turn right... and the bike goes straight. No joke.

I'm a little concerned that we might crash if I really force it, but finally my "manliness" takes over and By Golly no stupid bicycle whose handlebars turn freely in both directions is going to have the better of ME! So I turn the handlebars HARD to the right.

And absolutely nothing happens. We are going straight. It is not possible to turn the handlebars right. I'm scared to push harder; I've got more muscle to throw at it, but at this point I'm truly afraid of breaking something and crashing both of us.

Neither of us has said a word during my experimentation. I come to a stop, turn around, and the reason my wife hasn't said anything is because she's laughing at me so hard she cannot breathe. Her face is going purple. I started laughing too, and the shared experience was a great start to the weekend.

We gave up on the bicycle and never did figure it out. I presume it was some sort of binding in the steering bearing that only happened when there was a load on the frame. We still laugh about it, and it's been over two decades past.

Comment

Hello! So Im new to the site. Just bought my 1999 2100v. It came with two fat sacks and tower and the guy I bought it from bought it right from the factory. SO...I took it out, ran horrible, took it to a reputable mechanic and had him fix an assortment of things one being the Steering Cable. It turns to the right easy but I have to two hand to the left. Its night and day difference from before they replaced it but I want to fix the problem.

Also, Any ideas on a good prop upgrade? I have the 350mag EFI, with a reduction trans.? No clue where to start but all I know the idiot had a 16"/18" prop on there.

AND, Metcrap tower replacement parts?

Comment

Www.wakemakers.com has a nice prop selection guide. You can call them too. Good to work with and will recommend a good prop for what you plan to use boat for and altitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X