20013 Z1 not acceleration while Ballasts full

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20013 Z1 not acceleration while Ballasts full

While attempting to surf yesterday, we were unable to get the boat to accelerate past 9mph. Tried without speed set with the same results. We need to get to 11mph to clean up and create a wave. This is on driver side with only rear ballast full. Only 4 people on the boat. Drain the bag, no issues accelerating or hitting 11mph with speedset. Nothing appears out of the ordinary otherwise.

Any suggestions?

What ballast option + any additional ballast is the boat equipped with and specifically what ballast sacs/tanks were filled?

What engine and prop?
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
      What ballast option + any additional ballast is the boat equipped with and specifically what ballast sacs/tanks were filled?

What engine and prop?
      no additional ballast in the boat, just an L shaped sack full in the rear with factory tank full in the front. listing at 11 degrees. other side of the boat is empty. engine is PCM 343. Not sure on prop. Even when I cut the ballast down and list only at 5 degrees, still can't accelerate past 9mph.
      Last edited by HoopsMT; 08-02-2015, 12:53 PM.

Comment

With no ballast and only 2-3 people, whats the top MPH and RPM? The prop size and part# are stamped into the hub.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
          With no ballast and only 2-3 people, whats the top MPH and RPM? The prop size and part# are stamped into the hub.
          RMP's max at about 3800. Top speed is about 38mph. unfortunately the boat is in the water about an hour from hear. will update later today. Need to go back with a trailer and pull it out. Probably end up taking it in.

Comment

sounds like the boat should do over 60 mph with that propeller if it had 700hp

Comment

Originally posted by Tomp View Post
              sounds like the boat should do over 60 mph with that propeller if it had 700hp
              lol..I might be off on the RPM.......going off of memory from yesterday. Wasn't focusing on that as much as I wasted a 3 hour round trip to the lake without being able to get a wave...heading back in a bit to grab it. I'll double check these answers then...lol.

Comment

Is this a new boat to you?
                Did it ever work right for you with the current prop?

Comment

Originally posted by Tomp View Post
                  Is this a new boat to you?
                  Did it ever work right for you with the current prop?
                  Boat was new when I purchased it. The boats is a few years old, but low hours...only about 50. I'm not totally convinced this is a new issue. Since I am usually the one surfing and not watching the gages. When we have had issues in the past, it's been on windy days with a little chop. Not a lot. When the water is calm I've never had issues with the wake. I'm starting to think it's prop related as well and that the wave forms fine at 9mph while calm so I've never noticed the issue. Also, while calm, perhaps it is able to reach 11mph. Leaving now to go pull it and check everything out. I'll post prop info in few hours.

Thanks!

Comment

Could be prop related. Stock is a 537? Should still be able to pull OK esp with a light crew. Sounds like its not planing out. Did you try moving all the people to the front?

Comment

Originally posted by HoopsMT View Post
                      no additional ballast in the boat, just an L shaped sack full in the rear with factory tank full in the front. listing at 11 degrees. other side of the boat is empty. engine is PCM 343. Not sure on prop. Even when I cut the ballast down and list only at 5 degrees, still can't accelerate past 9mph.
                      If you have an L shaped sac in a 2013, that would technically be additional ballast as the 2103 came stock with a small rectangle sac that was only in the rear locker. When we had ours and added the Wake9 L shaped sac we ran into similar issues with the stock prop. I don't believe our speed was quite a limited as yours but in MN we are not at elevation. If you are at a higher elevation that could be why you are seeing less speed than we did. We switched to the 1433 Acme prop (purchased through Chpthril) and it made a significant improvement.
                      "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

I would definitely confirm the WOT RPM. At only 38 MPH, what is the lakes elevation?

Comment

I had similar issues with mine . It would take a while to get up to surf speed when weighted down, if at all. I then slapped a 1235 prop on and never had the issue again. My guess is u have the 537. If you have a boatmate trailer and you wind up switching props make sure you have enough clearance. The 13 z1 trailers had a design flaw and needed bunk shims.

Comment

Originally posted by surfidaho View Post
                            Could be prop related. Stock is a 537? Should still be able to pull OK esp with a light crew. Sounds like its not planing out. Did you try moving all the people to the front?
                            Prop is 537. Top speed is about 38mph @ 4800 rpm. Weird is only happens with ballast. Something must be slipping. Planes okay with no ballast but not great.

Comment

Thanks Everyone....as noted above. 38mph at 4800 rpm. The elevation is about 3500ft. I will look at replacing the prop as Dandy and ChrisBarnes did. See if that fixes the issue. Also, will check the clearance...thanks ChrisBarnes.

Comment

Working...
                              X