Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing muffler on one side with wet exhaust hose. Do I have to replace both sides?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing muffler on one side with wet exhaust hose. Do I have to replace both sides?

Tired of leaky muffler problems. Replacing one side of inboard merc 350 Mag exhaust with long piece of wet exhaust hose. Do I have to replace the other muffler too? In other words, do the two exhausts have to be balanced?

Thanks for help!

Yes.
    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Originally posted by boatwakes View Post
      Yes.
      This is very helpful boatwakes. i can see that you are a very busy guy on this website, but i would give anything to have a little background on your answer. Just want to understand why it is important to replace both sides.

appreciate your willingness to help.

Rebar

Comment

Sorry, saw the quick and dirty and just got home from vacation. Short version, equal back pressure through all exhaust ports in the system equals consistent and harmonious horsepower and torque. Restricting one side, had a customer do this on his twin engine 454's, can actually cause water reversion in the muffler side from higher back pressure. You may encounter some hose sizing issues (usually engine dumps are 4" and outlets are 3.5") but we can work through it with some photos.
        Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Working...
        X