Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monster MT2 Tower Install on 99 21i

Hey All,

I'm mid install with my new MT2 tower on my 21i. I borrowed a few neighbors and mocked it up a few nights ago and liked the way it looks. I had the rear mounts placed a couple inches behind where the windshield ends. There is really only one area where the front mounts can go. This puts the front to rear feet about 65" apart. Monster recommends 75-85" between these points and a call into them indicated that this was for front to back stability, makes sense, but questionable how much of a difference 10" would make.

I could move the rear feat back 10", but this puts the tow point a bit farther back relative to the stock pylon. With the rear feet where I had them it allowed the rear section to fold down into the boat with the rear seat installed. This is good for the time being, but could make in non-foldable if I added speakers in the middle part of the tower. I like being able to fold the tower without removing the rear seat, I suppose it's not a big deal though. I see pictures of 21i's around the web with MT1/MT2 towers on them (hard to tell the two towers apart in most photos). Most have the rear mounts directly behind the windshield like I initially mocked up. Monster's site has what looks like a 21i with the rear mounts about a foot back from the windshield. I've attached a picture for reference.
    2132_tige-brandond.jpg

Any advice on where to place the rear feet? Any experience out there?

Also, no matter where I put the feet I'll have to remove some of the pvc pipe that's glassed in under deck rail as a conduit. Any ideas on how to trim or remove a portion of it? I can't get my 3" cutoff wheel in there, sawzall seems questionable. My best idea is a spade bit to get a stress point and a bfh to finish it up. I've attached a picture to show this area. I actually got the pipe loose and was able to slide it completely out of the port side, starboard won't budge.
    20150727_191615.jpg

Thanks for any help or advice. I'll try to take more pictures as I go to post up an install later, tower installs take lots of hands!

I think it looks pretty good in the picture you provided. I would probably mount the rear supports in a similar spot. If you put the front and rear legs too close together it might look a little bit goofy. I've seen a few monster towers where the legs are too close together and it makes the tower look taller and less swept back. With that rear support a little farther back you might actually find it easier to put boards in and out of the rack as well, because you won't be working around the windshield.

Comment

Working...
    X