2006 22ve limp mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MRMoffat1 View Post
    Smoking gun fix verified for the problem I had (again): use boat for days, Idle for periods until low enough voltage as the voltage on the voltage gauge slowly decays, maybe put the boat in drive, instantly get the Alarm/beep and goes into limp mode. Happened twice, two weeks apart, at each time I let it idle for a length of time, which was only twice since I could tell I had symptoms from 5 years back. Codes found:

(81) Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Malfunction
    (81) TAC Fault - No TAC Reply

Workorder:

1. Reset PPS-1 PPS 2 back to spec

2. Fixed wiring from Shifter to TAC per instructions above: (NOTE: AS THE BOAT AND BATTERIES.... etc)

3. Found loose wires at key switch, back of gauges, and at ground block. Tightened.

All is working now. Voltage gauge shows high 13s (up to 14.1) when charging now, no decay when idling, and no limp mode.
    Where did yo make the wiring changes exactly?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by chrissnow View Post
      Where did yo make the wiring changes exactly?

I would call Curt at Sandbar Marine. He did the work, and was in contact with the engine manufacturer, who was able to provide the Tige' wire diagrams, incl "TIGE 06 ETC PANEL TO ENGINE HARNESS" drawing, that contained the recommended update with the following note as provided earlier, saw it myself:

NOTE: AS THE BOAT AND BATTERIES
      AGE IT, MAY BE BEST TO RUN A GROUND
      AND POSITIVE JUMPER FROM CIRCUIT
      #16 AND #15A TO THE ENGINE GROUND AND
      50 AMP BREAKER (ON ENGINE) RESPECTIVELY.
      EVEN THE SLIGHTEST DIFFERENCE IN VOLTAGE
      BETWEEN THE TAC MODULE AND HELM THROTTLE
      CONTROL WILL ACTIVATE A THROTTLE TROUBLE CODE

The only thing I know is it works!
      Last edited by MRMoffat1; 08-14-2015, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Don't worry. Was curious. I have all the documents and know the mod. Just figuring out what's the easiest way to do the mod.

Most likely going to have to run some 2 core back to the engine breaker box from the helm unless I can do something near the tac module that worryingly lives in the bilge!

Comment

Had this same problem a couple of months ago. It happen 3 times today. Mostly when we were at idle for long periods of time. I always notice that my volt meter drops at idle. I have installed 2 new Interstate batteries this year. I have read this thread before in anticipation of have the problem reoccur. I took the potentiometer out and notice that it had 4 tabs holding on the cover. I popped the cover off and saw where the metal tabs rub on what I believe a re a set of Carbon strips. The Carbon strips didn't look that worn, but there was a coating of stuff on them. I wiped off the coating and put it back together. You have to be careful because it has a spring in the inside to keep it loaded to one position. Put it back together and I noticed that the volt meter still drops at idle, but not as low as it did. I will be testing it out tomorrow. I will also at sometime do the wiring mod that several people listed.

Comment

Late to this thread, but if you have a 2006 motor and have NOT done the rewire, it takes all of 30 minutes if you know how to solder, and fixes this problem.

Same thing happened to me earlier in the summer, and the rewire made it all go away. Its a known problem, and a known fix.
            Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

I had purchased a new potentiometer over the winter and replaced it this spring and did the calibration on it. No more problems. I didn't need to do the rewire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a 2007 RZ2. I've had this problem all season. I've had several mechanics look at, been on the phone with Tige and marine power and nobody knows what the problem is. When ever I put down the throttle I lose power. Engine is on all the lights are on but just no power to the throttle. This happens every time I take the boat out whether cruising pulling a wakeboarder or surfing. It's intermittent but happens at least 2-3 times each time I take the boat out. I have to put the boat in neutral and then start again. I've replaces the throttle protentimeter, checked all lines, pressure and fuel pumps. It doesn't seem mechanical. Marine power wants me to send in my ecm to them to reflash or fix. Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? If I send my ecm to marine power from Cananda I'm worried I'll lose weeks of my season. Anyone know if I can get a spare ecm that would work with my boat while it's being looked at? Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.Thanks

Comment

I have a 2006 24 VE. We have had the same problem for the last 3 seasons with limp mode. This year the boat ran for 4 days prior to it happening. It is going to the dealer tommorow with a print out of this thread

Comment

Originally posted by JeffT View Post
                    I have a 2006 24 VE. We have had the same problem for the last 3 seasons with limp mode. This year the boat ran for 4 days prior to it happening. It is going to the dealer tommorow with a print out of this thread
                    What was the solution. Was the wire modification made?
                    My 06 was going into limp mode after idling while teaching but it's happening more often now.

Comment

Originally posted by dakota4ce View Post
                      Late to this thread, but if you have a 2006 motor and have NOT done the rewire, it takes all of 30 minutes if you know how to solder, and fixes this problem.

Same thing happened to me earlier in the summer, and the rewire made it all go away. Its a known problem, and a known fix.
                      Does anyone have instructions or pictures on how to do the rewire or harness mod mentioned to fix limp mode? I stated having more and more issues with my 06Ve going into limp mode with the alarm on. It happens after idling while teaching how to surf. I'm ordering the potentiometer and want to do the rewire as well.

Comment

Martin, I need to do this to mine. I have ordered the POT, but haven't done anything yet. Let me know what you find out. You should still have my cell...

Comment

I will. I PM a few guys who had documentation in 2015 hoping they still have it. I have your cell and will let you know when I figure something out.

Comment

Its been too long and I don't remember exactly. Dom will know for sure. I think the power to the throttle gets clipped and you run a wire directly to the ECM from the throttle. That way there is virtually no difference in voltage from what the ECM is seeing compared to what the throttle is seeing.

I gave Dom a call and we will discuss later when he gets back to the shop. I will post of information after that.
                            Last edited by KoolAid; 09-06-2017, 08:51 PM.
                            Oh Yeah!

Comment

* Find the pink wire at the 16 pin connector on the tac module. trace it back into the loom about 2 feet and cut it. - this pink wire goes all the way to the ignition key/switch.

* Under the engine cover there is a black box that contains the engines' fuses and relays. There should be one labeled "ECM power" or something like that. Find the corresponding wire under the fuse that leads to the ecm and splice the pink wire above into it.
                              Oh Yeah!

Comment

Awesome. Thank you! I will do that along with the potentiometer replacement.

Comment

Working...
                                X