Prop shaft seal.... Yall are doing it wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prop shaft seal.... Yall are doing it wrong

So I guess we have been doing it wrong all along!! So how hard is it to get everything I'll need and put it on there do I need to take the shaft out?? And what all will I need and where can I locate it??
    Attached Files

That is ridiculous. What is that? Not sure where you get a replacement of the original? I might have my old one?
    I replaced mine with a new dripless system years ago.
    http://www.skidim.com/PSS-SHAFT-SEAL...fo/PY1HG11X17/
    You can use code USA to get 10% off from skidim.
    Here is a link to their installation video. I hope it helps.
    http://www.shaftseal.com/en/about/installation_videos
    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

It is expanding foam yes it's very ridiculous!! If you still have it would you be willing to part with it? I really don't have the extra cash to shell out for a dripless and I think the shaft is groved inside of the foam so from what I've read dripless won't work! I'm not even sure if original will work at this point I'm scared to pull it out and see how bad it is

Comment

I can look, but it won't be for a month until we go to Lake Powell and get to our storage. Maybe try sending a message to KarsonH. He was going to replace his.
        Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

That actually looks like the original plastic unit that melted, the cotter pin is still visible in the photo. Pull the prop, remove the shaft from the coupler and pull the shaft out of the boat. Use a dial caliper to measure the clean diameter of the shaft versus the worn part, you may need a new one. Buck Algonquin offers a water feed packing gland that we use.
          Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

You could (probably) replace the hose with a slightly longer one to gain a fresh section of shaft to seal on. I don't imagine it's length is too critical within reason.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!! I'm not sure it could be the original plastic one but to me it looks more like expanding foam. There's no telling with the previous owner.

Comment

Working...
              X