impeller issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

impeller issue

98 2200I WT went to start the boat up before taking it to the lake and turned the key and the alarm check went through it's thing and went to start it and nothing.
    It did this a few more times and when it would just click. Eventually, I got the engine to turn over and there was a puff of smoke from inside the doghouse. Don't know exactly where it came from.

I ran water to it with the plunger and it was squealing bad, so I took the belt off and checked to see which one was binding. Turned out to be the impeller housing. After taking it apart, I noticed that the impeller center was shifted to one side. After taking it out, there where no rips or tears, but I did notice that the housing for the impeller was not round (it was oblong). Is that normal?

Anyone have any suggestions on a good replacement impeller and possible housing? I hate to put it back together and have the same issue.

The housing is offset to create suction and pressure, completely normal. Did you try to rotate the water pump pulley without the impeller in it? The pumps will sometimes sieze a bearing and cause the issue of belt slippage.
    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Your impeller should be Quicksilver 47-59362T1 or Sierra 18-3087
      Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by boatwakes View Post
        The housing is offset to create suction and pressure, completely normal. Did you try to rotate the water pump pulley without the impeller in it? The pumps will sometimes sieze a bearing and cause the issue of belt slippage.
        The pulley does rotate fine. the inside of the impeller housing has some wear so I am going to replace the whole thing. Do you have any place that you would suggest getting OEM parts from? Any ideas about the starting issues that I am having? Could it be a solenoid?

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
          Your impeller should be Quicksilver 47-59362T1 or Sierra 18-3087
          would this setup work?
          http://www.ebay.com/itm/180976008386...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Comment

It looks correct. The part number should be on the back of your existing pump to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
              It looks correct. The part number should be on the back of your existing pump to be sure.
              Please take look at that ebay listing again and tell me what that o-ring is for. The picture shows that one and the housing o-ring is already installed. Don't know where that one goes. Also do you have any pictures of installing a quick disconnect on to the pickup hose? I heard that works better than using the fake a lake

Comment

The small oring goes between the stainless plate and the pulley assembly. Here's my suggestion: first figure out why the belt was slipping on the old pump and make a determination for the next part from there. I have a complete pump assembly I always carry with me and a spare impeller in the tool bag and I suggest doing the same. Get a complete raw water pump assembly and repair the existing unit to keep as a spare on board.
                Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Look at the 3rd picture the seller has posted. It shows the o-ring on the back side of the pump housing inside of that groove.

Comment

back and running again! thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X