Changed transmission fluid now have issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changed transmission fluid now have issue

So I changed the transmission in my 03 22v with Merc cruiser power. I was out running it yesterday ran great. Then it started a random beep..beep. So it has a random 2 beeps prob every min or so of running. I was towing a tube for some friends that don't wake board when this started. So after shutting the boat down and checked all the fluids everything is up to the full lines. No over heating and have oil pressure. So started it back up and continued. Same beeps keep going. So we then switched over to wakeboarding. Pulled rider up running fine and beeps keep going. So he falls and go to pick him up and start to pull him up and get a vibration in the boat under load. So I have him get in and try it with out him still get vibration. We were not running ballast but did have 7 people in boat. My guess to this is maybe low fluid or wrong fluid in the velvet drive. What fluid should I have used I bought good GM dextron fluid that meet the spec. I will get the type and post what it was. HELP! Thank you!

You used the correct fluid. Was something wrapped around the prop shaft? The beep could also be low water pressure. Have you checked the impeller?

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
      You used the correct fluid. Was something wrapped around the prop shaft? The beep could also be low water pressure. Have you checked the impeller?
      I did not check the impeller but engine was not hot. Nothing around the prop shaft or damage to the prop. The transmission fluid was dextron VI castrol transmax.

Comment

Two beeps every minute is a sensor malfunctioning issue. Your trans is fine. Serial number of the engine please. Your most likely scenario is either the idle air control valve (iac) or the water pressure sensor if you have one. Either way you'll need to get it scanned so you're throwing the correct part at it.
        Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Originally posted by boatwakes View Post
          Two beeps every minute is a sensor malfunctioning issue. Your trans is fine. Serial number of the engine please. Your most likely scenario is either the idle air control valve (iac) or the water pressure sensor if you have one. Either way you'll need to get it scanned so you're throwing the correct part at it.
          Thanks for the info. So the vibration I was getting is caused by the iac or low water pressure? Nothing to do with the transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by LTtige22v View Post
            Thanks for the info. So the vibration I was getting is caused by the iac or low water pressure? Nothing to do with the transmission.
            Vibration would be prop, shaft or the transmission. The other two could be the beep but would need to scan for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
              Vibration would be prop, shaft or the transmission. The other two could be the beep but would need to scan for sure.
              I know I did not hit any thing with it so I am guessing transmission. So I looked at the fluid I used and it is synthetic. I did not want to use synthetic. So I am going to run drain and refill with regular atf and do this a few times. See if that makes a difference.

Comment

Vibration could be a shudder from clutches slipping. Not likely but there isn't a trans input vs output speed sensor on boats so it could happen and no diagnostic be set....

Comment

Originally posted by ericinmich View Post
                  Vibration could be a shudder from clutches slipping. Not likely but there isn't a trans input vs output speed sensor on boats so it could happen and no diagnostic be set....
                  I am pretty mechanical. I fed think it's clutch chatter in the trans. Only thing I did different was grab syenthic oil instead of regular atf. The boat only has 240hrs on it. So going to try the change out of fluids see if that makes a difference.

Comment

Fixed

So I took it to the dealer to be scanned..... It was the IAC so replaced that. As for the vibration it was a bent prop😞 must have hit something. Thanks everyone for the help.

Comment

Working...
                    X