replace heater core

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replace heater core

I bought my Tige(1999 2100V) secondhand a few years ago and I have a leaking heater core that I'm trying to replace. The trouble is I have no idea if its specifically a marine heater core or if its some type of automobile one since there are no markings on it. My marine mechanic thinks its an old Heater Craft core, and a model they no longer make. If that is the case, does anyone know if its possible to get a heater core custom made and what the cost would be?

20150516_094012_resized_2.jpg

Pretty sure you can find a cheap automotive replacement... Mine went bad... twice.. So I just put a Union in their and bypassed the whole damn thing...It is usually 100 degrees when I am out boating anyway...no need for heat... Just more $hit to go wrong IMO. Someone will let you know what the part is maybe.. I think you could just measure the size and take it to a local auto parts store to make sure it matches up with the inlet/outlet spots... Let us know if you get a part number.. I would have to look through my records to see what they used and I don't know where those are at the moment! Wanna say it was from an old ford or something.

Comment

I had the same thing happen to me. Heater Craft wanted $220 or something silly like that. I found a thread on here when I was originally replacing and someone said that it was the same heater core as a 1978 f100 pickup (sorry i could not find the thread to put here). I went to auto zone with the core and they measured it and agreed that it was that same ford part. I had the part that afternoon for less than $20. So search on this forum or just take it in to autozone, but don't buy anything through heatercraft.

Comment

ok found the thread and this info is from Timmy:

Ok, I picked up the Napa. I ended up with one out of a 1976 Ford F100 with a V8. It fits perfectly, was only $20.99 and has a lifetime warranty!

Good luck

Comment

Yep, I was just getting ready to chime in. That same one might not work for you but there will be one that is close enough. They aren't that sophisticated of a part to worry about spending the money that they want for it.

Comment

I had a 99 22i up until last year. Replaced the heater core twice in 800+ hours of service. I should have a memory stick with the actual part number, I believe you will find a suitable replacement under a 1973-1979 Ford Econoline with no A/C. Probably could/search find such posting from me on this forum. If have trouble, let me know and I will research my flash drive and see if I can retrieve actual part number.

Comment

"Ok, I picked up the Napa. I ended up with one out of a 1976 Ford F100 with a V8. It fits perfectly, was only $20.99 and has a lifetime warranty!"

I had seen that thread before, but found it can't be the F100 one....the intakes are on the wrong side and its a slightly different size. Here's it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premiu...ter+core+f-100

The Econoline one looks very similar to mine, and a few companies on Amazon sell compatible heater cores that fit in those cars.....all with totally different dimensions! One, for instance, is 5x5x5, another is 9.4X6x8. The pictures look nearly identical. Ugh. I'll try taking it to a local auto store and see if they have one in stock I could check, maybe the people who enter the dimensions on amazon are incompetent interns or something.

Comment

Success, the Econoline one was correct! Got it at a Pep Boys for $27. Thanks for your help, teachercop!

Comment

does anyone want to sell me theirs that there not using, with or without heater core? I purchased my tige late last year and everything but the actual heater is there. 3 or 4 duct would be great. I have 4 ducts right now. I haven't pulled the trigger yet on a replacement. hoping to find a used one or group buy.

Comment

Wow, your heater core is very different from mine.

I have an 09 22ve and need a new core, mine is long and narrow. Any thoughts on what auto core might fit?

Comment

Oh, another question, why is it so hard to find part numbers for Tiges?

Comment

Working...
                      X