Impeller change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impeller change

I’m going to go ahead and attempt an impeller change myself on my PCM 303. I’m not really a mechanical person, but I think I can accomplish something like this with basic tools and some dedicated time. Plus I want to be able to do it in an emergency down the road. I’ve done a little searching and think I’ve found enough online to guide me through the process, but my first question is: What impeller should I buy and where do I buy it? Should I get a few to have on hand for the future? Where do you buy your impellers?

skidim.com is a good place to get them. Call them and they'll make sure you get the right one. Just keep the old one as your spare. I'm in your area if you need or want a hand to do this. I have an impeller puller as well, which makes this a lot easier.
    2013 Z3 - Electric blue and black

Comment

The job is pretty straight forward as I am sure you have figured out, most V-Drive boats take about hour or so to do it. Not to familiar with the PCM (I have the Merc), but a impeller change is pretty standard across the board. I ALWAYS recommend you get your parts through your dealer or other approved dealer, however amazon has some good stuff just find the part number and plug it into Amazon. I keep 2 spare impellers, and 1 spare impeller housing in the boat, nothing ruins a trip faster then blowing a impeller on the first day of a trip. Good luck, let us know if you run into any issues I am sure some PCM owners will chime in with some particulars or tricks to make things go faster for you.
      My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Ok, just completed a change of impeller. Not too bad, so far. Afterward I hooked up a fake a lake to see if it was a success, and the water output behind the boat wasn't a steady stream but more of a intermittent burping/heaving. Check out the video to see what I mean. Is this normal for a plunger type fake a lake, or did I botch the impeller change?

https://vimeo.com/131989179

Comment

That's normal. The most important thing to watch is engine temp. Did it get to temp and stay there?
          2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
          2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Thanks Ewok. I didn't have it running long enough for the engine to get to temp because I was a little concerned, and there is something about a fake a lake I don't trust. The only other time I had it hooked it to a plunger I thought it acted similarly, although I'm not certain. I'm about 90% confident I did the impeller exchange correctly. I'll be sure to keep a keen eye on the temp monday when it will be in the water all week [emoji2]

Comment

Originally posted by Ewok View Post
              That's normal. The most important thing to watch is engine temp. Did it get to temp and stay there?
              i agree. You may also see less water from one exhaust then the other, on those engines with 2 exhaust ports.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
              X