Boat just quits - no beep, no nothing, then starts just fine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat just quits - no beep, no nothing, then starts just fine

(Feels like I have been flooding this forum the past 2 days...Im sorry!)
    So I have been having this issue for about 2 seasons now (and now will be the 3rd, and Id like to get it fixed), and I think its electrical, but have no idea how to track it down.
    This weekend when I prepping the boat, I noticed one of the batteries was not charging on my battery tender. Tested it, and it was dead. Replaced it w/ a Optima Battery Blue Top - to match my other one.
    I have a normal Perko switch that connects them. The "number 2" battery has nothing extra connected to it, the "number 1" has everything else. (It only had 1 battery when I got it, so I figured Id just leave the setup as is, and just add a 2nd battery).

So what happens is we are just cruising along and the entire boat will just die. Everything shuts off, stereo, gauges, Perfect Pass, motor, everything. No beep, no nothing, everything just quits.
    I let the boat plane down, turn the key off, then back to the on position, everything lights up, and she starts right up, and off we go.
    Its kind of random as far as when it happens, or what we are doing, and sometimes it does not do anything at all. I only think its electrical, b/c everything in the boat loses power.

I have no idea at all how to track it down - or even it that is the issue. The randomness of it pisses me off, b/c it always keeps me just a bit on edge when we are on the water.

One that same note,

Today something odd happened, which leads me to believe its electrical, I was prepping the boat, hooked up the fake-a-lake in the driveway, turned the key and the Perfect pass started beeping, then kind of shut off, then back on, then off...kept doing it. I started the boat, and it started fine...but the PP kept doing it, then if finally came on and was normal. I checked the wires under the dash, and nothing was loose or corroded that I could see.
    Now I have no idea at all if one has to do w/ the other, but I figure I'd mention it.

Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Thanks

There aren't many electrical things that have that much control over everything, and that can be fixed by cycling the keyswitch. Question: Is your radio wired such that the key must be on or in accessory position to play? If so, my first thought is the keyswitch itself. I've seen those get flaky, sensitive to vibration, and you could be "fixing" it by cycling it.

My other initial thought is the thermal link (if your boat has one) on the main battery cable. If it mistakenly opens it could kill power to most things, then when you cycle the switch it gets a chance to reset.

Comment

Did it do this to you before? I mean when it was only one battery and before you installed the perko.. Sure seems like a total loss of electrical power to me..

Comment

I second the keyswitch idea....check all the spade connections on the back of it. Could be corroded or loose. A new ignition switch for our older boats is inexpensive as well. Would be an easy fix....

Comment

image.jpgI had a similar issue with my 05 22v. Finally traced it down to the solenoid which had previously been replaced by an aftermarket component. It was on the weekend when I figured it out and there are no Tige dealers in the area. Luckily I found the same aftermarket part at O'Riley Auto Parts, sounds crazy but it is commonly used on riding lawnmowers. Glad you posted as it reminded me to order the OEM replacement as a safety net.
          Last edited by Brs68; 05-20-2015, 03:47 AM. Reason: Added photo

Comment

My 2014 Z3 with the 350 Indmar would randomly quit running at any time and would not run again until it took a 45 minute rest��
            It took a lot of rests at the wrong times.
            Problem was never corrected during my ownership I had no choice but to trade it in, I am now a happy owner of a 2015

Comment

Thanks guys - to answer a few questions....

Never did it with just one battery - I was running 2 battery's for a few seasons w/ no issues before this started happening.

I will check out the key switch connections for corrosion & proper connection.

Brs68 - Can you elaborate on the solenoid you mentioned?

Thanks

Comment

image.jpgThe attached photo is of the aftermarket part that I replaced. It is very easy to get to. Located on the top of the motor between the distributor and intake. Just remove the plastic cover and it should be right there. PM me with your phone number if you need help finding it. Be glad to help.
                Last edited by Brs68; 05-20-2015, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Brs68 - no attachment

Comment

Sorry technically challenged I guess. Should be there now.

Comment

Awesome - ill check it out tomorrow and see what I can see.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rob_and_trish View Post
                        Awesome - ill check it out tomorrow and see what I can see.

Thanks
                        How did it go?

Comment

I just had the same thing happen. It was the Ignition Relay. I replaced it and started while on the trailer. Started a couple times actually kits to make sure it worked. Once the boat was put in the water I started and within a few seconds it quit again.
                          I have power to console and power receptacles. Stereo won't power up, no sound pre-ignition alarm.
                          My thought is that the ignition key switch is bad which is blowing my relay. Thanks for the help. I am thinking tomorrow to go buy a ignition and instal. Worst case I have a new ignition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I put a multimeter to the ignition switch and I have voltage going to the switch but when I turn the key to start I have nothing at any of the poles. I am at a loss. Any thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Most likely a poor connection somewhere. Work your way back to the battery.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X