Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tracking fin damage question

Hey guys,

Had a couple 5:15 runs this morning, went to trailer the boat, and got a bit off center. I was probably trying to dock a bit quick, I was already late for work. The nose was perfectly centered between the uprights, but I didnt think to check the back of the boat, and the trailer was a tad too deep, so i couldnt see the damn running boards.

Anyway, here are some shots of the damage. The lead tracking fin split a small section of the lower left wood running board. The tracking fin also seems to have picked up some paint, but it is not from our trailer, so Think that might have been from something else. Anyway, I need help: Will this affect the tracking of the fins in the water? Can I fix this myself with the right tools? I was hoping that I could sand the edges down so it wasnt so abrupt, but I might just drag it to the dealer. I am just sick right now from looking at it, so take a look.

The pics make it look really deep, but its really only the leading edge, as you can see in the one shot.

That doesn't look too bad, I'd just run it as is. Check for Gel-coat damage around the area where that fin mounts.

You can always replace it later after you hit something else! J/K we all hit something eventually!
    "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are just details"

Comment

Ouch, shark bite. It's not too bad. It doesn't look like it bent it. I would think you could grind it down a little to make it a bit smoother but I don't think you need to replace it. I would however check it over real good and make sure it didn't damage the hull. Make sure it isn't loose or doesn't woble or anything and you dont have any holes or cracks in the the hull. I do see a small crack along the edge at the aft end of the damage. I good prop guy could probably fix it up real nice.
      You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Working...
      X