Autmotive Alternator replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autmotive Alternator replacement

I have a 1999 21V Rider's Edition with the 350 Mag MPI motor. My alternator is shot (pulled it and had it tested at NAPA). The closest replacement I can find is a 1970 Chevy Nova. It would take a few minor modifications, but otherwise it appears it should work. The actual replacement is $280 and will take at least a week to get. The one for the Chevy Nova is $40 and in stock. Any ideas what differences exist between an automotive alternator and a marine alternator??? Anyone else ever replace their alternator with an autmotive one??

have you looked into having your alt. rebuilt, the internal electric componants are the same as automotive alts.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

mine was only 80 to have it rebuilt. But there was no one that fit at all from an automotive shop.
      Originally posted by G-MONEY
      It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

The key words here are "Coast Gaurd Approved". It needs to be a sealed unit so you don't have a explosion in the bilge if there were a fuel leak. I would highly recommend replaceing the alternator with the "correct" part. Starters, alternators and flame arresters are all designed and tested to help keep you and yours safe.
        Greg Denton
        former service mgr. Tige Watersports July 95-July 05

Comment

"sealed" what's you diffenition of sealed, because I don't think there is anything on mine that is sealed, and it's stock.

Comment

It should have a mesh screen to stop any sparks from coming out of the unit.

Comment

by mess screen you mean around the coils? my stock one didn't even have that.

Comment

It's all internal. Trust us on this, it is the law and I have personally witnessed boats exploding with people and pets being hurt and or killed over saving a few $$. I feel if you can't afford proper repairs then you can't afford the toy.
                Greg Denton
                former service mgr. Tige Watersports July 95-July 05

Comment

Sorry not trying to argue. I didnt realize it was internal. I hope they fixed it right. I took it to a shop, and told them it was on a boat. seemed like good guys. It was something about the rectifier frying. Not sure, but it works great now, and I ran a bigger charge wire and it's never had any problems.

Comment

OK, did a little homework and there is something to the coast guard approved alternators. Frankly, stills seems rather stupid to me since flameguarding these devices only insures that a flammable gas cloud just gets bigger until it ultimately finds an ignition source. I mean come on, in a boat, how are the vapors going to escape? Is the hope that the cloud gets big enough for the passengers to smell? Would seem more practical to me to just run a blower full time and/or install an air monitor to detect the prescence of a flammable gas cloud (not that terribly expensive, I come from the air filtration industry).

Comment

Larger boats do have a sensor to monitor fuel fumes and also have a fire suppression system. These are where engines are below deck and are not easily ventilated by opening a cover.

The build up of fumes is very real and a very serious danger. It only takes one small spark from an alternator to cause an explosion. The marine capable components are designed to suppress any movement of flame. You may get a very tiny flame in the alternator from a spark but the screen will suppress the spread.

It is not worth saving a couple hundred dollars to put your life at risk.

As for me I run my blower full time when I am in the boat. It is just an extra level of protection.
                      Ray Thompson
                      2005 22V

Comment

It's a liability issue. If you do something stupid and blow yourself up, you can get a lawyer to sue the manufacturer.

Now, on the really silly side, why do I have to have a fire extinguisher on my stand-up jetski? If it's burning, I'm swimming away...I'm not going to swim towards it and try to open up the fire extinguisher compartment, then open the engine cover (which will cause it to sink) to put the fire out.
                        Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert
                          It's a liability issue. If you do something stupid and blow yourself up, you can get a lawyer to sue the manufacturer.

Now, on the really silly side, why do I have to have a fire extinguisher on my stand-up jetski? If it's burning, I'm swimming away...I'm not going to swim towards it and try to open up the fire extinguisher compartment, then open the engine cover (which will cause it to sink) to put the fire out.
                          I felt the same way on my jetski, what's the point, I swim away, or roll it over, either way is faster then getting that stupid extinguisher out.

Comment

That compartment on the stand-up jetski was for beer, not a fire extinguisher.

Comment

Originally posted by zany
                              That compartment on the stand-up jetski was for beer, not a fire extinguisher.
                              I like your thinking! Unfortunately, the Game Wardens here in Texas don't
                              Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Working...
                              X