Winterizing Ballast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winterizing Ballast?

Dealer wants 50 bucks per ballast...I have the pro set up....any tips on how to do this myself?

run the drain pumps until no more water dumps out first. next step is to add a little rv/marine antifreeze to the drain pumps as they are the likely candidates for holding water. You can take a long flexible funnel and poor the antifreeze down the drain thru-hulls, about .5 gal to a gal. Or, use a fake-a-lake under each fill pump thru-hull and pump about a gallon into each tank/sac, then kick the drain pump on until you see pink. This requires having your bucket of antifreeze well above the pump, since they do not self prime.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by 2thdoc01 View Post
      Dealer wants 50 bucks per ballast...I have the pro set up....any tips on how to do this myself?
      Dealers really charge for this? Isnt the pro ballast just bags?

My method of winterizing my ballast was just running my pumps and bags until no more water came out. I also had hard tanks (plastic) that held some water and never had a problem. Then again my winters don't get as cold as yours.

Comment

water in the pumps or hoses can freeze up then crack apart and whamo ugly. $50 per bag is rip-off high.

Comment

they also talk about winterizing the heater....any thoughts?

Comment

Yes, the heater needs to be winterized.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

your heater should be antifreeze fed fyi. 2012 RZ2 should be hybrid system... and the heater is part of the closed side. now I say should.. just follow the lines to and from the motor.
              2011 Tigé RZ4
              www.re-viveupholstery.com

Comment

What type of heater do you have? Winterizing the heater is another no brainer and takes all of 10 minutes once you figure it out. When I winterized mine I would make sure all of my drain plugs are pulled then I would disconnect the two hoses that lead up to the heater. I would then just blow the water out of the heater hoses until I could feel/hear the water draining out. I would also blow air through the heater core as well to make sure no water is in there.

Comment

Working...
                X