Hit a rock last night - Bent rudder and prop HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hit a rock last night - Bent rudder and prop HELP

Well as the title says, after surfing last night with my girlfriend I was not paying attention like a dumbass and missed a buoy. Before I realized where I was, I smacked a rock pretty good. I was able to idle it boat into deeper waters and swim underneath to inspect. Everything will still intact so I decided to idle back to the house and get the boat on the lift to inspect further. When I was driving back I realized that my steering was very tight - I assumed I damaged the rudder as well.

Upon getting the boat on the lift and looking things over, I saw 3 of the 4 fins on my prop are pretty dinged up. This should not be an issue as my buddy across the bay has pulled his prop off before and is going to give me a hand so I can have that repaired. What I am worried about is the rudder. I attached a picture of where the rudder shaft enters the boat. It looks like the rudder hit the rock as well and bent back so now it's pressed up against the surrounding metal. The rudder itself does not appear to be damaged.

So at this point in the season I think I am going to try and take care of this myself. Unfortunately I do not own a trailer as the boat sits on the lift all season so I am going to attempt to do this while on the lift. Is the rudder a two piece assembly? It appears that the brass rudder is attached to a stainless shaft somehow. Can I just replace this stainless shaft? Is this a Tige specific part? Any insight at this point would be greatly appreciated - I am pretty sick over this and need a little guidance as what to do, thanks in advance!

rudder.jpgprop.jpg

I hate to say it, but in addition to the prop, your rudder is bent and bent bad. The back top edge of the rudder is contacting the rudder box. So you need a new rudder assembly.

The prop shaft looks to be off-center in the hull, to this indicates that the strut is bent. Often times, this also means the shaft itself is bent.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
      I hate to say it, but in addition to the prop, your rudder is bent and bent bad. The back top edge of the rudder is contacting the rudder box. So you need a new rudder assembly.

The prop shaft looks to be off-center in the hull, to this indicates that the strut is bent. Often times, this also means the shaft itself is bent.
      I was guessing the rudder would need to be replaced. It looks like it is a two piece assembly - can I just buy a new shaft or do they come pre-assembled? The strut did not look bent at all, maybe it just appears that way in the picture? I spun the prop shaft and everything visually looked very square with no binding whatsoever...

Comment

mdk - were you on Minnetonka? Where were you when you hit the rocks?
        2013 Z3 - Electric blue and black

Comment

Originally posted by mnpracing View Post
          mdk - were you on Minnetonka? Where were you when you hit the rocks?
          Yes, I live on the north side of Black Lake. I was back in the corner of Halsteds Bay where I surf weekly, but missed one of the black and white buoys right in the middle and cut the corner without realizing. Kicking myself just because I know that damn lake like the back of my hand but I guess **** happens...

Comment

The rudder assemblies are 2 piece. The rudder and pole/shaft (what the tiller arm attaches to) is one piece and the rudder box (what bolts thru the hull) is the 2nd. Dont know if they can be purchased individually though, never had a need.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Do you have insurance? My experience is that they will cover an underwater strike, and depending on the circumstances, it can be considered a "no fault" event that doesn't raise your premiums (missing a buoy could create a problem there). Depending on your deductible, it might be worth it if you are looking at a prop, rudder, shaft, and strut. Those will add up quickly.

From what I understand, the prop shafts are manufactured to a very tight tolerance, and I'm not sure you'd be able to tell if it was bent out of spec from a visual inspection.

Sorry to hear about this. I've been there, and that is one of the worst sounds you can hear when out on the water. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Coop View Post
                Do you have insurance? My experience is that they will cover an underwater strike, and depending on the circumstances, it can be considered a "no fault" event that doesn't raise your premiums (missing a buoy could create a problem there). Depending on your deductible, it might be worth it if you are looking at a prop, rudder, shaft, and strut. Those will add up quickly.

From what I understand, the prop shafts are manufactured to a very tight tolerance, and I'm not sure you'd be able to tell if it was bent out of spec from a visual inspection.

Sorry to hear about this. I've been there, and that is one of the worst sounds you can hear when out on the water. Good luck.
                Yes I do have insurance. I am going to call the company today and try and get more details, I appreciate that idea I didn't even think about making a claim...

I was under the impression that the prop shafts are machined to within .005-.010" - I was planning on taking a dial indicator to the end of the shaft and spin it by hand to see if there is any significant play one way or another. I think the rudder replacement I should be able to handle along with the prop. The real question is going to be the prop shaft though. Is there any specific way people check for a bent strut? I'm not quite sure how to tackle this besides a visual inspection...

Comment

Originally posted by mdk681 View Post
                  The real question is going to be the prop shaft though. Is there any specific way people check for a bent strut? I'm not quite sure how to tackle this besides a visual inspection...
                  I'm not sure on the prop shaft. When this happened to me, the dealer checked it out, but I don't know how he did it. My strut was bent, but it was bent enough that you could clearly see it on a visual inspection.

Comment

the shaft can be repaired , i've seen that nettle props can straighten them.....
                    and props can be as well...

Comment

I was in your shoes about two years ago in Lake Texoma. Hit some rocks in a shallow area, bent the Skegs, prop, and Rudder. All were replaced except the drive shaft. I made an insurance claim so I definitely wanted a new drive shaft if needed so I asked them how they evaluated it. Simply said they just used a dial indicator in various spots along the shaft looking for any deflection larger than .002 or .003. I’m not sure what the book answer is but .002 seems to be generally accepted.
                      Odds are your shaft is fine, that's the purpose of the prop; to take the damage instead of the stainless steel shaft (unless the shaft got hit directly of course).
                      Good luck on the Rudder! The prop you can fix pretty cheaply, If it's an ACME prop, i sugesst sending it to them so they can put it in and repress it to the correct pitch in their die.
                      2010 Tige RZ2 "Fully Loaded" 650hrs
                      Surf Ballast & Enzo Bag - 1235 prop

Comment

Originally posted by mdk681 View Post
                        Yes I do have insurance. I am going to call the company today and try and get more details, I appreciate that idea I didn't even think about making a claim...

I was under the impression that the prop shafts are machined to within .005-.010" - I was planning on taking a dial indicator to the end of the shaft and spin it by hand to see if there is any significant play one way or another. I think the rudder replacement I should be able to handle along with the prop. The real question is going to be the prop shaft though. Is there any specific way people check for a bent strut? I'm not quite sure how to tackle this besides a visual inspection...

Make sure to check the shaft on the inside of the boat as well. Mine was bent near the trans and caused vibration.

You can always pull the shaft then take it to a machine shop and have them check it for ya!

Comment

The prop will need to be replaced, don't try to fix it, it's not going to be viable for the money. CHP is right, the rudder assembly and the box will need to be replaced also. Your insurance should pay for this regardless but here's what you need to know: expect the shaft to be bent and the strut needing to be replaced but have the shaft checked by a propeller shaft company not just any machine shop. There is a special shaft roller assembly that is used to run a dial indicator on the shaft through it's rotation. Henry H. Smith machine company is in Michigan at 800-338-8900 and they've done several shaft and prop packages for us on repowers and driveline replacements. Send them the strut as well. Your motor is going to have to come out unless you've got good access to the strut bolt heads and you will also want to have the transmission and v-drive rebuilt after a strike like that too. We've seen gear teeth go missing and then get chewed through the rest of the set and eventually destroy the transmission and the v-drive so make sure those are done too. Often times it's cheaper to put a new unit in instead of rebuilding what you have but the insurance surveyor will need quotes from the mechanic for accurate recourse.
                          Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Originally posted by boatwakes View Post
                            Your motor is going to have to come out

you will also want to have the transmission and v-drive rebuilt after a strike like that too

We've seen gear teeth go missing and then get chewed through the rest of the set and eventually destroy the transmission and the v-drive so make sure those are done too

All this from a simple rock hit... whoa. That list of things to do is going to total many thousands of dollars.

Moral of the story: Keep those hulls in DEEP water!

Comment

I thought perhaps the accident happened on Lake Gaston in NC. I heard from a buddy of mine that a 22' Tige hit a rock (due to a misplaced buoy) and has $6K in damages. OUCH!!! Sounded just like your damage. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X