Possible limp mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible limp mode

I usually run my boat on the lake but took it to the river the other day. We decided we were going to go surfing on the river. We boated up river before filling up the ballast. Once we stared surfing and the Tige speedset was engaged we would get surfing then the motor would lose power. I had read about limp mode before so i figured it was engaging limp mode. After some testing it appeared to happen just over 3000 rpm. I was able to shut the motor off then restart it and it would clear it, but it kept happening at that RPM after that.

I checked all the electrical connections (knock sensor, TPS, oil sending unit, under dash for loose wires) low pressure fuel pump connections the sea strainer for debis. The oil was down a quart so I topped it up when I got home.
    I haven't had a chance to water test it after topping up the oil. I won't be able to test it until the weekend does anyone have any experience with this?
    My question is would low oil cause limp mode to engage?

I should add that I have the Marine Power Vortec 5.7l 360HP if this helps.

Comment

It seems like nothing else is the issue so I topped up the oil and took her out this weekend. I ran her full of sacks and family and only had one incident. I wasn't driving at the time so I am not sure what happened. It was when the cruise control and the speed set was on. Not positve if that was the issue but from now on I will only engage the cruise control to see the digital MPH.
      There seems like to much speed fluctuation when the Tige Speed Set is being used. It can jump up and down by 1 mph which is huge when trying to surf. Not sure if this is an issue I had done a little reading on speed set and I do believe speed is set by the ECU. Are ther any serviceable parts on the speed set?

Comment

When winterizing I pulled the impeller and it was only half there. Some of the fins were totally missing and all of the others were broken at the ends. Under load it would not have been getting enough water flow into the block. I suspect that this caused the issue with the limp mode in the computer. I will find out in the spring when I put ballast in it and sink it again.

Comment

Can you confirm that the boat is an 07 with a 5.7L engine? Have you had the engine ECM scanned for codes? There are tons of cases where the throttle input sensor on the back of the throttle lever drops out. This will set a code and put the engine in limp mode.

Does your boat have the factory EIDB dual-battery setup? There are a number of threads discussing a wiring fix to a condition created when the boat is built with the dual battery setup.

There seems like to much speed fluctuation when the Tige Speed Set is being used. It can jump up and down by 1 mph which is huge when trying to surf. Not sure if this is an issue I had done a little reading on speed set and I do believe speed is set by the ECU. Are ther any serviceable parts on the speed set?
          Unlike perfect pass, the throttle needs to be buried once the Speed-Set engages. If left at the position at which the Speed-Set takes over, we have found it to "hunt". The engine is TBW (throttle by wire), so the throttle plate position is controlled by a motor thats signaled via the ECM. The Speed-Set touch pad commands are processed by the ECM. The Speed Set is also 100% dependent upon a steady speed input from the paddle wheel.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I have the 2007 360hp in my boat. Mine was doing the same limp mode problem the first season I got it. The previous owner had the same problem and only found out about it after mine went to the shop. Turns out to have been an in line fuse back by the batteries. It corrodes up for some reason and the wires had an open short happening from time to time. It was intermitant and was located when I was checking around the batteries for a loose connection and it fell apart in my hand. Installed a new fuse and holder with shrink tubing and it fixed the issue. Not sure what the fuse was for but it solve the problem.
            Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

Hello Mike
              I cannot confirm that the boat is a 07 5.7l other then what I was told and the paper work I received when I bought it. By the layout of the Motor it is definitely a MP, because when i winterized the motor it was the exact layout in the MP winterization thread. I would assume that they wouldn't change the cover on the motor as it says MP 360 (bought from a dealer).
              I Have not had a chance to scan for codes yet it happened just at the end of our season and didn't get it scanned before she was put to sleep for the winter. I will also check the throttle lever sensor in the spring.
              I tried burying it but that didn't work, it seemed to make it worse but it may have to do with the impeller. I will post a picture of it, it is impressive looking.

Wakeman22
              It does have the duel batteries from factory I will check the fuse and harness and replace as needed.

Comment

Some photos of the impeller.
                impeller Bad.jpgImpeller Bad2.jpgImpeller Bad4.jpg
                Attached Files
                Last edited by tigeunrest; 11-28-2013, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X