Boat won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat won't start

Hi guys just wondering if anyone else has had this happen or has any idea what could be wrong. Had the boat out last weekend and everything worked fine when we took it out of the water. Went to go out again last night and the boat won't start it doesn't even try to turn over and there is no clicking sound By the starter. Just incase I took the batteries out and made sure they were fully charged and checked every fuse I could find. The only one that was blown was in the black panel under the dash for the blower motor. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Stupid question, but did you turn on the battery switch? Also, did you inadvertently flip the emergency kill switch by the shift lever?

Comment

Yes the batteries are on and I checked the kill switch too. The touch screen comes on but the boat won't turn over. Also I noticed that when I turn the key to the start position the lights on the tower and speaker rings light up. Not sure what's up with that.

Comment

Another simple but easily overlooked thing - make sure the throttle handle is in neutral.

Comment

yes its in nuetral. and tried wiggling it moving it to different position no luck.

Comment

I had a similar issue. turn the key and everything comes on, but the engine wont turn over.
            It turned out to be a bad relay. On my boat this relay was mounted on the engine. ( key powers relay, relay closes and the starter turns over the engine)

But I have an 2004 with a MP engine
            DW
            Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

Thanks I will try and swap them out

Comment

A 12V test light is going to be a good tool for the job. Start at the starter solenoid "crank" wire, i think its yellow with red tracer, and then work backwards. The next stop would be the NSS (neutral safety switch) on the trany and then to the "start" terminal on the back of the key switch. There could be a starter relay in there somewhere, I just do not know for sure on all engines.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Check all the relays and fuse I could find. Thinking its probly a bad ECM as sometimes it will turn the fuel pump on and sometimes it won't. Will have to take it to the dealer. Just sucks having it stuck sitting on the trailer and not being able to use it.

Comment

Hi ScottG

Did you ever get your problem sorted out? Reason I ask is that the same thing happened to my boat at the dealership when they were winterizing the boat. They could turn on the ignition and the computer would come on but would not turn over. They had to bypass the ignition and go straight through the starter to get it start. Once it started and they shut the engine off, they could start no problem and couldn't get the issue to repeat.

I just bought the boat last fall and the original owner gave me a spare ignition relay and said if it would start to replace the relay. I never had problem all summer.

If you did figure out the issue, I would certainly like to know for the future.

Hope you were able to get it working in short order.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X