Starboard Fuel Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starboard Fuel Door

My starboard side fuel cap is stuck - I cant get it to budge with dry hands or even using a thin rubber jar opener. I've tried to think of other ways to put leverage on the cap - but I'm coming up empty handed.

Thankfully the port side fuel cap is easy to remove - but as you know when pulling up to the dock - the stern walks away from the port side when in reverse. This means I'm taking the fuel despencer over the boat - which I dont like.

I appreciate any ideas on how to put additional leverage on the starboard side cap to loosen it up and make it usable?

Mine has a semi-circular flap that flips up in the middle of the cap, and I can use pliers on that if necessary. If yours doesn't have that flap, are there channel lock pliers big enough to fit around the outside?

Comment

maybe try an oil filter wrench.. mine are made of rubber.. so it might work if you have one..
      2011 Tigé RZ4
      www.re-viveupholstery.com

Comment

I would try a large pair of pliers with the rubber jar opener to protect it from scratching if the oil filter wrench doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by gcombe74 View Post
          maybe try an oil filter wrench.. mine are made of rubber.. so it might work if you have one..
          x2 on this suggestion. What you want is called a "strap wrench". It will exert tremendous force yet leave the cap and your gelcoat completely unblemished (unlike metal tools). They look like this:

...they are pretty cheap, and well worth having around. Make certain the cap is totally dry and clean so the rubber can get a good grip.

Comment

I need to pick one of those up!

Comment

Strap wrench would work great. Must have in the tool box. They work great on anything smooth and semi-round. Great Idea!!

Comment

yep.. those be what I meant ^^ above..
                2011 Tigé RZ4
                www.re-viveupholstery.com

Comment

WA Boating - thanks for that idea! I like the Strap Wrench idea a lot! Probably the best solution. I'll try that out this weekend!

I did think about channel locks; or using the little metal flap that pops up, but I didnt want metal against metal. I dont know why I didnt think about using the rubber jar opener with the pliers.

Comment

I just use pliers on the metal flap, with a rag in between to prevent scratching.

Comment

A thick rag and a pair of pliers did the trick. buddy was suppose to bring his strap wrench - but forgot in the excitment of surfing! Thanks to all for the help in resolving.

Comment

Working...
                      X