Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

09 rz2 power issues

Hi folks,

I am having some issue with my 2009 rz2. I have been searching the boards and have tried a number of things I read here but have yet to resolve the problem and am looking for some new ideas.

Here is whats happening, boat starts great one turn 2-3 seconds and it's running no problems.

Reverse out of the slip everything is fine.

Start forward at low speed no problem.

Put in the throttle and it just bogs down it accelerates but very slowly and only to about 2900 rpm and maybe 17-22 mph max with the throttle all the way down.

It seems to improve over time and slowly begins to increase in top speed and rpm to a max of maybe 3500 rpm and around 30 mph ( this may not be exact)

Occasionally I get a backfire pop from the engine. It seems louder than previously. Also, backing off the throttle actually yields better performance and higher speed than the throttle full down.

A few more observations.

In neutral I can throttle up and get 5000 rpms and it sounds pretty smooth.

I just replaced the filter in the FCC and the inline filter. I can see the electric fuel pump pushing fuel through the new inline filter. I also cleaned the flame arrestor and cleaned out water intake filter ( not sure what that's called actually) . I am running fresh gas and have run an injector cleaner through almost a full tank of gas. I did see major improvement in performance after the items I just listed but performance is still very poor.

Any thoughts?

I have not checked the throttle, tranny fluid or the fuel pump itself.

Have not check or changes plugs etc. but the boat only has 120 hrs total.

Appreciate any thoughts or ideas.

Zipp

I would still lean towards bad gas and dirty filters, I had the same issue before and had to change the filters twice and run almost two tanks of fresh gas through it, and then it took off and she has not missed a best since
    "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

Sounds like low fuel pressure. Need to have it checked while on the water when the problem is occurring.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Could be, I did however put in the type of main filter that is transparent so I can actually feta pretty good look at the filter element and the gas itself. I'm not seeing any debris or water in the fuel. I ran the tanks as close to dry as possible before the filter change. I'll keep at it til I find an answer. Thanks for the input!

Comment

Mike,

Is that a difficult thing to test on the water? If that was the problem, what would the solution potentially look like? Still haven't ordered my new sacs from ya since I can't make the darn boat work kinda disappointing after doing the whole install.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by zippCarlson View Post
            Mike,

Is that a difficult thing to test on the water? If that was the problem, what would the solution potentially look like? Still haven't ordered my new sacs from ya since I can't make the darn boat work kinda disappointing after doing the whole install.

Thanks
            You just need the right fuel gauge to connect to the fuel rail, then hit the water.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Would be willing to bet on low preasure pump, this was a common problem on 2009 to 2010, it will starve the fuel cell just enough to make power down.

Comment

Would checking the fuel pressure on an 09 or 10 be suggested preventative maintenance? Or it is already part of scheduled tunes?

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                  Sounds like low fuel pressure. Need to have it checked while on the water when the problem is occurring.
                  Currently trying to find the right guage for this. But, if it does turn out that the fuel pressure is low is there anything I can do about it? I have been waiting three weeks for a service appointment since I'm still under warranty. I was just hoping to solve the problem by doing some of the standard maintenance tasks myself. I need to learn it anyway. I figured if I did the maintenance items then I could narrow it down to an actual malfunction which might be covered under warranty.

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by zippCarlson View Post
                    Currently trying to find the right guage for this. But, if it does turn out that the fuel pressure is low is there anything I can do about it? I have been waiting three weeks for a service appointment since I'm still under warranty. I was just hoping to solve the problem by doing some of the standard maintenance tasks myself. I need to learn it anyway. I figured if I did the maintenance items then I could narrow it down to an actual malfunction which might be covered under warranty.

Thanks again
                    9 out of 10 times, low pressure would be a faulty pump. No fix but to replace the faulty pump.

Comment

9 out of 10 times, low pressure would be a faulty pump. No fix but to replace the faulty pump.

Mike,

Any way to determine if it's the low pressure pump vs the high pressure pump?

Yesterday I replaced the inline filter again with a different type of filter. One of the local techs suggested that I was using a gravity filter vs a high pressure filter. I changed out the $3 filter for a $16 filter. No change though.

Also, yesterday the oil was changed and the tranny fluid checked both are all good. Only things left would be the fuel pumps and maybe the plugs...

Comment

I did see major improvement in performance after the items I just listed....
                        If this is true, it's a strong indicator. I'm not sure a failing fuel pump would be affected by injector cleaner.

Could you get a local shop to put a diagnostic tester on it, and see if the engine controller is throwing any codes? Better performance off-WOT than at WOT suggests a fuel-air ratio problem, which I'd expect the engine controller to detect. This could be as easy as a failing sensor.

I'd find out what the computer knows. Might be the fastest path to success.

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
                          If this is true, it's a strong indicator. I'm not sure a failing fuel pump would be affected by injector cleaner.

Could you get a local shop to put a diagnostic tester on it, and see if the engine controller is throwing any codes? Better performance off-WOT than at WOT suggests a fuel-air ratio problem, which I'd expect the engine controller to detect. This could be as easy as a failing sensor.

Waboating,

I don't think the improvement was from the injector cleaner. I think the filters both inline and the primary in the FCC were filthy and changing them improved fuel flow. However, I do think the fuel air mix is another route I had not considered. I'm sure the dealer can figure this out no problem, my issue has been that Theresa holiday weekend coming up and I have been waiting three weeks for my service appointment. I was hoping to hit on a solution myself in an attempt to save the weekend.

Thanks for the input!

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post

Even without a code set, the injector PW and STFT/LTFT data would indicate the air/fuel ratio is not where it needs to be.

Comment

There are two places to take preassure readings, one is on the fuel cell which is for reading the low preassure pump, next is on the fuel rail which is hi preassure.
                              As far as computor readings, if the fuel pumps are low on preassure, the fuel trim will keep adjusting to correct for lean condition , but wouldnt necessarly set any codes.

Comment

Working...
                              X