HELP muffler removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP muffler removal

Ok back to my leaking muffler problem. I have 2003 22v with merc mag 350 5.7 and I need to pull the muffler out to do a better repair. For the life of me I cant remove the rubber connectors. Has anyone done this that has some tips? Help duffy you are the only one I know has done this.
    Attached Files

Rubber connectors? The formed rubber exhaust hose from exhaust riser to the 90* pipe would be my guess: loosen the hose clamps and slide them OFF the connector and down to the vertical exhaust hose. Use both a large and small flat blade screw driver to pry underneath and break the seal from the cast iron to the hose both front and back and around the circumference. This will take a while and it's okay to get pretty rough with those things too, they can take it. You can also buy new ones for $10 each and use a razor blade to cut them off. Sierra part number 18-2748. Looks like you're going to have to pull the exhaust manifold too. Be sure to look inside the ports for signs of rust or dripping water as your riser to manifold gasket could be leaking. If it is, replace both sets of manifolds and risers and gaskets, being sure to scrap the paint off the mating surfaces between the riser and manifold prior to installation. Manifold part number (sierra) 18-1953-2, riser 18-1976-1 and they come with gaskets. If you just need exhaust gasket it's 18-2949. PM me if you need.
    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

I have been trying the two screw driver thing and can get the seal broken but can't move the rubber fittings. I was thinking of squirting some soap and water in them using the screw driver to help get it in there. I also thought about cutting them off to make it easier but am a little timid about cutting them. I think I can get the muffler out without taking the exhaust manifold off but wont know until I get it all loose.

Comment

The exhaust outlet from the riser is usually making metal to metal contact on the inside of the 90* downturn piece and subsequently sticks together as well. I have a bunch of used rubber couplers and can send you one if you need (free). Cut it to avoid the hassle because sometimes they really bind.
        Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

thanks for the offer. I may take you up on that. I'm going to give it some more effort when I get a chance, I'm just not sure how it will come out when I get it all loose. It is a really tight fit. I will let you know.

Comment

Have you tried taking the whole thing out? I mean loosen it at the transom and at the exhaust from the engine. I have done this on a few boats, it's a pain in the as* some times but you should be able to free it. Also I have used a rope wrapped around the exhaust to give you better leverage. Working in tiny spaces sucks!!
            Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Thanks for the idea duffy. I will look at it more tonight but I know my muffler is different looking than the pic I saw of yours. Mine has a 90degree bend in it towards the front of the boat and even when if I get it free it will be close if it will come out.

Comment

Well I got the muffler out today. I had to use wd-40 to help lube everything up and loosen the hoses. Then I had to remove the tranny mount to be able to pull it out. Fun Fun, now time to patch up the muffler with some JB Weld and I might coat it with 3M 5200 like Duffy did and then reinstall. Thanks for the input everybody.
                Attached Files

Comment

That thing is crazy long!!
                  Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

yep it is a bit long and thats what made it a challange to get out. Now I'm waiting for the JB weld to set up and then I'm going to cover it up with the 3M 5200 like you did duffy. Also just finished my thru hulls for my custom ballast set up. Can't wait.

Comment

Can you give me any tips on this? I need to fix a small crack on mine and have never done anything like this, and never worked with fiberglass at all.

Comment

I would try using the Marine Tex if you want to try and patch it. My repair with the JB weld and 3m 5200 lasted a year and now it was leaking again so Im replacing the whole thing.

Comment

Thanks, I already cut out the cracked area and used JB water weld. I am going to go over it with fiberglass, that should be good right?

Comment

I have never used the JB water weld but if you keep all your work clean it should hold for at least a while. A general theory is either left over water when winterized in the fiberglass or an overheat issue can cause the cracking. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                            X