Removing Rudder Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Rudder Question

I am trying to replace my rudder. I have disconnected the tiller arm and removed the four bolts and top plate that holds the rudder box.

Do I just need to remove the grease fitting and then hit the top of the rudder cylinder with a block of wood to get the rudder box out?

Originally posted by Moki View Post
    I am trying to replace my rudder. I have disconnected the tiller arm and removed the four bolts and top plate that holds the rudder box.

Do I just need to remove the grease fitting and then hit the top of the rudder cylinder with a block of wood to get the rudder box out?
    I would take the grease fitting out, and then try rocking back and forth until the silicone seal comes loose.

Comment

Use this trailer?

Comment

ROFL!!!!
        Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by dom w. forte View Post
          I would take the grease fitting out, and then try rocking back and forth until the silicone seal comes loose.
          Thanks Dom! I will give that a try. I have another question. I bought a new rudder off of craiglist where the part number stamped on the rudder is exactly the same. However, the new rudder assembly has a different rudder box with the bottom seal only being plastic. The holes line up similiar to the old one. Do you think that I will have any problems?

My options are:
          1. Replace rudder and rudder box
          2. Replace rudder and use older rudder box
          3. Try to buy a new rudder box that is like my old one

Any suggestions?

Attached are pics of the old and the new
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Moki; 06-06-2010, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lohe View Post
            Use this trailer?

ROFLMAO!!!!!!

Comment

As long as it seals I don't see why it would not work.

Comment

Use this trailer?
                If the rocking doesn't work, I will be by to borrow Goose's trailer

Comment

As long as it seals I don't see why it would not work.
                  The whole rudder assembly only cost me $60, so I will probably give it a try and watch for leaking.

Comment

Rocking worked in getting it out. I will not be needing trailer.

Comment

Working...
                    X