Fluctuating oil pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fluctuating oil pressure

Our 99' 21V has 800 hours on it. The oil pressure stared fluctuating today between 40 and 20 lbs. today at 25 mph. It is usually at 40psi. My daughter called me with this info and told her just to limp back to our summer place and put the boat away. I can't get up there until Friday.

I used to race boats and know that a fluctuating oil pressure can mean death to an engine. The gauges are Faria. The tach stopped working last summer, stuck at 1,500 rpm, but I get by without it. The hour meter within the tach is still working so I did not want to put in a new tach. I hope its just something loose or maybe corroded. I walked my daughter through a fast check of the sender connection over the phone. It was ok.

I'm hoping its electrical and not mechanical. An engine rebuild was not in my plans for the summer. My buddy is bringing up a mechanical gauge to run off the engine Saturday. It will tell the truth. I aways taught my kids to watch the gauges. My daughter took it to heart.

It may be a bit of a PITA, but if in doubt, "T" in a manual gauge and see if it concurs or contradicts the dash gauge.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

A great idea! Thanks.

Comment

fixed

I simply crimped the connector on the sender. End of problem. Although it would have been interesting to do the tee experiment and compared the two gauges.
        Now I have to solve the frozen tach deal.

Comment

Working...
        X