How to remove rear bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove rear bench

I believe I need to replace the starter on my 2008 22Ve. It seems easiest if I can remove the rear bench seat somehow. Does anyone have a link to a post where this has been discussed before? I'm sure many people have needed to gain access to the front of the motor, so there must be a way that's not too crazy.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Justinkent83; 10-29-2023, 04:24 PM.

There is screw hardware on the kick panel, 4 IIRC, vertical screws that go into the floor and some wing nuts up on the backrest. HOWEVER, you only need to remove the 2 bolts (5/8" hex head) on the starter, 1 on the top and one on the bottom, plus the electrical (usually 8mm for the yellow with red stripe and 13mm for the main battery cable). Don't use cheap Chinese starters (if your starter cost less than $100, use it as a paper weight), you'll get stranded. The Mercruiser, Volvo, PCM, Crusader top mount starters for GM engines will all work, they're the same unit with different names.
    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

I believe you are right about the Chinese starters. I have the box from where this starter was put on previously, it's a Chinese brand. What brand/model do you recommend? I thought about getting the one from marineenginedepot.com. I do not want to cheap out on anything I put on this boat. The model number I'm finding is 6793N.

Comment

Originally posted by boatwakes View Post
        There is screw hardware on the kick panel, 4 IIRC, vertical screws that go into the floor and some wing nuts up on the backrest. HOWEVER, you only need to remove the 2 bolts (5/8" hex head) on the starter, 1 on the top and one on the bottom, plus the electrical (usually 8mm for the yellow with red stripe and 13mm for the main battery cable). Don't use cheap Chinese starters (if your starter cost less than $100, use it as a paper weight), you'll get stranded. The Mercruiser, Volvo, PCM, Crusader top mount starters for GM engines will all work, they're the same unit with different names.
        @boatwakes - I'll be tackling this project soon, hopefully this weekend if the weather holds out. Do you have any pics or anything to go along woth your description? I'm trying to be as prepared as possible when I go to tear into it.

Thanks!

Comment

Oh, I got my new starter at marineenginedepot.com. I forgot to mention that.

Comment

Tige starter.jpeg
            Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

I meant to update this post.

I got the starter installed last week. Boat fires up like a charm now! The job was very easy.

I will be doing a full tune-up this spring including replacing the spark plugs and doing a compression test.

In your screenshot above it looks like everything around the motor has been removed. Any info on how to remove those ectra items would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X