Bent tracking fin - how much pressure to bend back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bent tracking fin - how much pressure to bend back

Bent this in a little sand bar drama. Did some research and looks like should be able to bend back without heat. Put a 24” pipe wrench on it (with rags on teeth) and not much happened. Also beat on it a bit with a dead blow. Same result. Worried I’ll break something else. Any ideas other than replace? 2017 Z1 with single fin.
    Attached Files

Buy a new one. Less than $100.

Comment

I wouldn't mess with trying to bend it back, just buy a new one and replace it.

Comment

The last thing I would attempt is to bend it back attached to the boat.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

As above, either pull it and heat it back into shape or buy a new one. Use De-Bond to eat away the sealant on the existing fin prior to trying to remove it or you'l pull the gelcoat off with it.
          Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

IMHO it’s cosmetic. I’ve bent several on my trailer and lift (before modifying trailer and lift), replaced, but never could tell the difference on the water. Granted, we aren’t operating anywhere the performance limits…..

Comment

Replace it. Hows your strut and shaft?

Comment

All good on strut and prop. I have OCD so can’t be sporting a bent fin as it’ll make me lose sleep. Bakes and Marine Hardware look to have the same fin so I’ll go the replacement route. Do I have to worry about DeBond damaging anything else (like gel coat) when applying?

Also, where are you guys getting this fin for less than $100? I don’t see it anywhere for that cheap. Thanks.

Comment

De-bond only disrupts the silicone, have used it on several gelcoat items where retards have installed hardware with 5200...Side note, 5200 should NEVER NEED TO BE USED ON ANYTHING THAT MAY, AT SOME POINT, NEED TO COME APART. I had a pretty in depth discussion with FAE about this too. 4200 is fine. 5200 is when you want to **** your neighbor for being a jackass.
                  Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Slit the mating surface with a razor blade and applied Debond a few times. Bolts are removed. This fin won’t budge. Any tips on getting the Debond further in there so I can get this fin off?

Comment

5lb sledge hammer. That is why 5200 should not be used. Use 3M 4200 or 4000.

Comment

Working...
                      X