Flooring help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flooring help

Recently picked up a 2004 24v. The snap in carpet up in the bow is shredded and the carpet on the floor hatch is coming up. It's wood underneath and is wood everywhere. I thought they were at least epoxied or something in the early 2000s. Ive never dealt with something like this. Should I pull the carpet and coat the wood in something? Fiberglass? Some sort of epoxy? And then recarpet it? Or some sort of foam flooring?

Looking for advice from more experienced people

Are you sure it is 2004, they were composite and no wood.

Comment

I just finished a deckadence floor this spring in my 09VE. It required removing all the carpet and prepping the floor. Mine isn't wood but, I did coat the raw fiberglass with a white marine paint. Deckadence isn't as cool looking as EVA foam floors as there's not patterns but, I love it so far. Nice and soft on the feet, doesn't stain like EVA does, and it just made cleaning my boat from our camping trip a heck of a lot easier as I can pull everything out.

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
        Are you sure it is 2004, they were composite and no wood.
        That's what the title says, but I'm wondering if it was made early enough in 2004 that the structural build changes hadn't taken place yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Bsevans5 View Post

That's what the title says, but I'm wondering if it was made early enough in 2004 that the structural build changes hadn't taken place yet?
          What is the hull number?

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
            I just finished a deckadence floor this spring in my 09VE. It required removing all the carpet and prepping the floor. Mine isn't wood but, I did coat the raw fiberglass with a white marine paint. Deckadence isn't as cool looking as EVA foam floors as there's not patterns but, I love it so far. Nice and soft on the feet, doesn't stain like EVA does, and it just made cleaning my boat from our camping trip a heck of a lot easier as I can pull everything out.
            Thanks. I've seen a number of different products that could be used. I assumed it was at least epoxied or gel coated because the floor in the bow where the snap in carpet is white (not sure if epoxy or gel coat). Not sure how to prep the floor first? Not sure if I should fiberglass it? Epoxy it? Or something else. I don't have experience doing anything like this, but willing to try with some guidance or instruction

Comment

What is the hull number?
              TIXW6563c303

I'm sure with my luck it truly is a 2003 and i overpaid a years worth of value. That, on top of all the expenses I'm incurring (gauge replacement, it's at a shop for major brake issues/i figured out the tires are 8 years old and although I don't have a quote yet it looks like it's going to be $2k in parts and labor, way more gel cracks than expected, etc) and this isn't the deal I thought it was.

Floor is definitely wood. All signs are pointing to it being a year older.

Comment

Last two numbers, 03.

Comment

well, that's pretty crappy. 1 year older than I thought. Can't change it now. Thanks for letting me know. I did a lot of research and thought I covered all my bases. I guess not.

As far as the floor goes, what do you recommend I do?

Comment

The front is white gelcoat, it is okay. On the rear section go with some epoxy to seal it and get a smooth finish. Do one light coat to seal, then heavier coat to level it out.

Comment

About to do that to my new 1996 PRE2200 v-drive.

Comment

The front is white gelcoat, it is okay. On the rear section go with some epoxy to seal it and get a smooth finish. Do one light coat to seal, then heavier coat to level it out.
                        Thanks. Any recommendations for epoxy? Do I'm assuming I sand down the old glue, then epoxy. Do I add any cloth for strength or is the epoxy sufficient?

Comment

I am going to just mix it up and paint brush it on. Light coat at first to seal it then a heavier leveling coat. I guess I will sand any loose stuff off.

Comment

I am going to just mix it up and paint brush it on. Light coat at first to seal it then a heavier leveling coat. I guess I will sand any loose stuff off.
                            I really appreciate all your responses. It feels pretty overwhelming to buy a boat that you expect to have little to no issues and discover its older than advertised and is more of a project than not.

Is there a particular type of epoxy that should be used?

Comment

Working...
                            X