Impeller replacement question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impeller replacement question

I've got a 2000 21V with a Mercuiser Mag MPI engine. I just replaced the impeller and did some other maintenance like changing the oil. I was going to run it with a hose attached just to make sure everything was running smoothly, so I hooked up the hose and turned on the hose. Normally, water comes out the bottom of the boat and the exhaust once I turn on the hose (before starting the engine). Today, no water came out of the boat, so I didn't start it. I was worried about running it and damaging the new impeller. I unhooked the hose and made sure it was running fine (no kinks). Any ideas why water wouldn't come out the bottom and exhaust like it normally does? Any concern about damaging a brand new impeller because it is dry? Do people normally put in some dish soap or water when installing a new impeller to make sure it's not dry for the first few seconds of operation? Thanks.

Water should not come out of the exhaust with the engine off. How long did you have the water on? It has be going somewhere if it is coming out of the hose.

Comment

I had the water on for 30 seconds or so while connected to the engine. The hose bib was turned on, but the water wasn't moving through at all. It's sort of like when you have a nozzle on the end of your hose....even with the water turned on, the water just stays in the hose because the nozzle is blocking it. Normally, water flows out of the bottom of the boat (maybe through the intake) when I turn the hose on but before starting the engine.

Comment

If you are using a plunger style, water should overflow out until the engine is running.

Comment

I have one of the connections that is installed in the engine and then connects directly to the hose.

Comment

It should be spring loaded and stops the water from flowing out of the bottom.

Comment

Working...
            X