2019 R21 Steering Cable Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 R21 Steering Cable Replacement

Reaching out to the forum for tips to gain access in the rear port side ballast compartment in order to disconnect the rudder and clamp block from the steering cable?

Does the rear ballast compartment plastic wall with the battery switch need to be removed in order to gain access?

All tips with experience working on the R21 steering cable greatly appreciated......! It looks likes it going to be very difficult.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Babybud; 02-19-2023, 03:10 PM.

The port wall with the battery switch can stay but you'll need to have the starboard wall removed to access the end of the cable clevis (at least thats how I did it). I installed a waterproof Deutsch connecter to the compartment light on the panel during this process too. Do not try to remove the hex arm connected to the strut base. Instead, remove the 4 through bolts that clamp the actual cable. You cannot remove the hex arm joint even though it looks to be the best way to do it, it cannot be disassembled without unclamping the cable. Then remove the clevis bolt at the end of the cable and leave the through bolt on the rudder. You'll have to remove the rubber grommet with a zip tie around it and place it in the same position on the new cable and be sure to grease it up before installation. Just as the Z3 cable routing is stupid, so will be this one. Cut all offending zip ties and if you've got the correct cutting tool, cut the old steering cable about midway. Remove the four bolts holding the cable to the back of the helm and then attach a wire fish to the old cable and pull it out at the helm. Remove the wire fish from the end of the old cable at the helm. Use electrical tape and wrap the end of the wire fish that came out with the old cable to the end of the new steering cable. Use two guys to feed it through to the mid bilge area and finish the under engine assembly there.
    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Working...
    X