2003 20V TAPS black box replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 20V TAPS black box replacement

I intend to replace the black box controlling the TAPS with a homebrew digital version, yet retain the original TAPS gauge in the panel. My boat has the Lenco electrical actuator.
    Last edited by isaac; 02-24-2022, 07:35 PM. Reason: Design change.... no need for the original question

I believe the signal for the gauge comes directly from the actuator (it does on the hydraulic version at least) so there's no need to include it in your setup as it's more accurate when it's readying where the actuator actually is rather than where your programming thinks it is.

Comment

That’s not the case with the lenco electric actuator, as there are only two leads to the actuator…. reversible DC leads. There are no sense leads. I am fairly certain that the black box only measures the amount of time the switch is pressed up or down and the black box positions the gauge accordingly. This is why the plate is sent to a limit whenever the boat is started. The gauge position is also easy for the black box to calibrate on the fly, since the Lenco has built-in hardware limits and I bet most of us hold the switch up or down to ensure the plate is fully at slalom or wake during operation, which makes for excellent opportunities for the “black box” to reposition the gauge at the appropriate limit.

Comment

Well, I successfully re-engineered the original "TAPS black box" with a homebrew. I always wondered why Tige and/or Lenco didn't sell replacement black boxes, I found out after taking the original apart. It's full of obsolete electronic parts! Given it's dipped in epoxy, it wouldn't be easily repairable even if you could get the parts. Here's the original:
        IMG_1180.JPG

IMG_1176.JPG

Here is my replacement, it has the same footprint as the original black box except that it is deeper:

IMG_1212(1).JPG
        The purple board on the left is mine, the one on the right is from Amazon. This homebrew has a duplicate trim switch on its cover as well as a button which illuminates whenever the actuator is supposed to be moving. As a bonus, it restores the trim plate on power-up to the most recent position which lasted at least 30 seconds. It has a calibration mode letting one adjust the gauge's 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100% needle positions. Also includes a regulated power supply for the trim gauge so the gauge doesn't vary as the boat's electrical system voltage fluctuates (RPM, stereo, actuator activation, whatever). Finally, it cuts power to the actuator whenever it believes the trim is 25% past the fully retracted or extended positions. So one can just hold the trim switch down until the actuator stops -- you'll know the plate is fully up or down.

Comment

Originally posted by isaac View Post
          Well, I successfully re-engineered the original "TAPS black box" with a homebrew. I always wondered why Tige and/or Lenco didn't sell replacement black boxes, I found out after taking the original apart. It's full of obsolete electronic parts! Given it's dipped in epoxy, it wouldn't be easily repairable even if you could get the parts. Here's the original:
          [ATTACH=JSON]**"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_1180.JPG","data-attachmentid":1262622}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]**"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_1176.JPG","data-attachmentid":1262621}[/ATTACH]

Here is my replacement, it has the same footprint as the original black box except that it is deeper:

[ATTACH=JSON]**"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_1212(1).JPG","data-attachmentid":1262623}[/ATTACH]
          The purple board on the left is mine, the one on the right is from Amazon. This homebrew has a duplicate trim switch on its cover as well as a button which illuminates whenever the actuator is supposed to be moving. As a bonus, it restores the trim plate on power-up to the most recent position which lasted at least 30 seconds. It has a calibration mode letting one adjust the gauge's 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100% needle positions. Also includes a regulated power supply for the trim gauge so the gauge doesn't vary as the boat's electrical system voltage fluctuates (RPM, stereo, actuator activation, whatever). Finally, it cuts power to the actuator whenever it believes the trim is 25% past the fully retracted or extended positions. So one can just hold the trim switch down until the actuator stops -- you'll know the plate is fully up or down.
          This is awesome!! Want to build anymore lol??

Comment

Could do….

Comment

The title is wrong (can't edit the title?), the boat is a 22V.

In any case, I've uploaded the design files to https://github.com/ikester1/Tige-TAPS-Trim-Controller

Comment

Originally posted by isaac View Post
                The title is wrong (can't edit the title?), the boat is a 22V.

In any case, I've uploaded the design files to https://github.com/ikester1/Tige-TAPS-Trim-Controller
                Wont matter, it would have been the same controller that year.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Isaac, I am in dire need of one of these setups. I search all last winter but gave up. Is there some way to get a hold of you to talk about getting you to make one of these setup? Thank you

Comment

We can do it here. I made a few spares when I made mine. What is your TAPS doing (or not)? Was it a sudden failure?

Comment

As a follow up to the above post. I did receive and install one of Isaac controller. It was very easy to install and worked perfectly. I have not had one single issue with it. If anyone is having a issue with their Taps I would highly recommend reaching out to Isaac to see if he has a spare or trying to build one yourself. It is a great efficient design. Thank you Isaac.

Comment

Working...
                      X