2017 RZ2 SPN:3256 FMI:5 PlugID:B Fault Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017 RZ2 SPN:3256 FMI:5 PlugID:B Fault Code

Was out on river and 2017 RZ2 gave me Fault Code: SPN: 3256 FMI:5 PlugID:B Fault Code. Did my research and looks to be a emissions sensor. I called local dealer and they are booked out 3 months for an appointment. Regardless I told them the code and I purchased the new sensor. My question is I know there are 2 pre cat and 2 post cat. How can I find out which one is bad from code instead of just trial swap and error? And even if I do need to do the guessing game all 4 sensors are the same right? I also read that sometimes these get funky and doing a swap can fix the issue but regardless any feedback would be much appreciated.

Others stated to keep running boat which is fine however I did read that eventually boat will go in limp mode and not perform well. Not sure if that is true or not but let me know if anyone can help me out.

Regards,

C

I'm not a mechanic, but I believe that code is the 02 sensor, common issue on the Raptor 400 engine. It shouldn't do further damage by running the boat. It should be a warranty claim so you shouldn't need to buy the part. Your dealer is 3 months out?! That is insane! 3 weeks, maybe, but not 3 months. I've never heard of anything that long.

Comment

I think that one is post cat bank 2.

One option is to switch both post cat o2s from side to side and run a little while and see if you get a different SPN #. Each 02 has its own SPN. If that doesn't do it swap the pre cats from one side to the other. Once you get a different code you know the offending sensor.

You will need an o2 socket to remove the precats
      Last edited by freeheel4life; 07-21-2021, 10:24 PM.

Comment

A81C7156-A88C-40B5-9FF6-1B6330F1AE3B.jpegThanks Mike & Freeheel for the feedback. I’m going to swap the post cat ones and see what happens.

Yes 3 months out! Not only that they have sold out of all 2022 boat pre orders as well. Crazy boat times! It is a warranty thing but for $140 and the time it’s not worth the wait. Plus not many Tige dealers so I’m stuck!

Regardless I’ll give it a go but didn’t know I needed special tool for sensors. Is it only the pre cats because of accessibility! Like a spark plug? Guess I’ll find out! Thanks guys

Attached Files

Comment

Post cats can be removed with a wrench because the bung/threaded fitting is welded onto the pipe after the mandrel bends. The pre cats are in a recess that gets tapped after the manifold is cast so you can't get to the flats on the o2 sensor with a wrench.

Nice looking boat and even nicer wheel chocks. I see the Germaine guide pole pads...are they really three months out or did the boat wind up in new dealer territory??

Comment

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the note. Yeah I took a looksy yesterday and see exactly what you are talking about. Thanks for the compliments and yes the wheel chocks are totally custom and I can hook you up if you would like lol. Regarding Germaine yes they are 3 months out here in SoCal location (Norco, CA). Germaine is great however they are so backed up now its not even funny and dont want to go to a non Tige dealer for fear of voiding any warranty etc. Its a good time to be a boat mechanic thats for sure!

Comment

That's wild that they are booked so far out! Any Indmar dealer can handle this as its an engine issue not a Tige issue. While you have the post cats out it's a good idea to look down inside with a light and inspect the cat bricks. There was an issue with the cats coming apart and getting flushed out the exhaust.

Comment

Ok so update. The dealer said code was for pre cat. I replaced both pre cats (with tool) and left post cats as they are. Ran boat to idle temp for about 20 min and no error code. If I get it again I’ll change the post cats out. Take a look at how bad the pre cats were. I’ll let you guys know in a week or so what happens. Going on week trip on Monday. Thanks for your help.
                Attached Files

Comment

You are getting water reversion with that much rust. Are your boots from the manifolds to the Y pipes blue or black with a bump in them??

Did Germaine squeeze you in??

Comment

So I purchased this boat 2 months ago. Had warranty transferred to me as I m the second owner. Had to pay a grip to do Indmar Inspection as well as Tige inspection at the dealership and all passed with flying colors. I also had a 3rd party inspector and mechanic inspect the boat as well with all good results. Without the warranty I would not have purchased the boat.

Before I purchased the boat the previous owner did replace the Fresh Air Exhaust with a new one because something went wrong with it. First time I tried to take out the boat before I left my house I figured Id start it up to make sure I dont drive out to lake for nothing and good thing i did. It didnt start and I smelled electrical smoke. Turned off battery and took back to Germaine who just did the inspection. They stated this stuff happens and it was the heater cable that lit up which was a warranty issue so currently they bypassed the heater and I am waiting on part. They also stated the starter was bad so that has been replaced. Its been a bit of a nightmare and starting to think maybe should have just bought a Costco boat lol.

So with new starter and bypassed heater cable/wire I went out to river and then got the fault code we have been discussing. Just figured Id give you the full story of my experience so far.

To answer your question they are Black with a Bump in them. Germain will squeeze me in when the heater cable/wire part comes in. I just thought I could get through the season and then have them do a full service etc end of summer but lets see what happens. As for the rust issue I think that it may have been do to the old Fresh Air Exhaust system but I cant be 100% certain. Everything else on the boat has worked fine so lets see what happens this coming week when Im in AZ.

Comment

So quick update boat performed just fine all week except we did not get rid of that error code. I’m thinking it’s the post cat sensors but I don’t know. I’m gonna ride out the season and then have dealer figure it out!

Comment

ckaranastasis there's a few things to check that you could do at home. Or just surf away and deal with the beeping. If you want to DIY this send me some contact info via PM

Comment

Originally posted by ckaranastasis View Post
                          Ok so update. The dealer said code was for pre cat. I replaced both pre cats (with tool) and left post cats as they are. Ran boat to idle temp for about 20 min and no error code. If I get it again I’ll change the post cats out. Take a look at how bad the pre cats were. I’ll let you guys know in a week or so what happens. Going on week trip on Monday. Thanks for your help.
                          Where did you get the tool to
                          Change? Do you remember what size socket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You can get an O2 sensor socket at any auto parts store, or I’m sure Amazon, fits on a standard 3/8” drive ratchet. As far as I know they’re all that size, mine always have been, trucks, cars, and boats. I keep one in my tool box, along with another in the boat, with a couple of extra sensors. Takes 5 mins to change on the water, if needed. Mine actually have a tendency to loosen up, occasionally, which I’ve never seen in another vehicle, so having the socket just to tighten them is nice, also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

So, this thread kind of ended... I have a '16 RZ2 that just threw the same code. Did you ever get it figured out? Anyway to reset the fault to see if the sensor is actually bad or if it was just a blip?

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X