2007 RZ2 - question about electrical functions with engine OFF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2007 RZ2 - question about electrical functions with engine OFF

Brand new to the forum - just purchased first boat - 2007 RZ2. Not an expert in boats in any way
    I have a dual battery setup that I understand was ordered from the factory that way.

My question is related to what electrical functions can/should work when key is turned or engine. Is there an "Accessory Mode" similar to cars?
    I can only seem to operate any of my electrical functions (bilge, blower, radio, after market ballast pumps/drain) when Engine is turned ON. I have tried with the key in all other positions but no luck.

Is this normal? I feel like radio should be able to played without engine being on...

I also seem to have intermittent issues where upon starting the engine, none of those above mentioned electrical features seem to want to turn on. I need to turn off engine, turn back on again, and then they seem to work. Feels like some sort of short or bad relay?

Can anyone shed any light? Any help appreciated.

Thank you!

The blower should run without anything done to the key. At least that's how it is in my 2005. Blower is supposed to be run prior to starting the engine to make sure there are no fumes in the engine compartment. My bilge pump also works without the key. Radio will work when clicked one time to the right which is accessory mode. I can't speak to the ballast drain/pumps.

Comment

Pretty sure the house battery is dead.

The key does have an ACC position thats one click to the left of OFF. This position will allow the stereo to play. All the other helm switches should work regardless of key position.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Hi chpthril
        Thanks for the note,

Sorry for my lack of technical knowledge but what do you mean by the "house battery"?
        And if the battery is indeed dead, wouldn't it get recharged with use via the alternator?

Or what is the solution to remedy this dead battery?

Comment

Your boat has a cranking bank that fires the engine and house battery that powers everything else.

Alternators make for poor battery chargers. they are designed to replenish amperage from normal use, and maintain system voltage. It will take a long time to recharge a good but depleted battery. If the battery is no good, it will never recharge.

Given its an 07 boat and you just purchased it, I would get new Group-24 marine cranking and group-24 marine deep-cycle batteries and install them.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I see, this makes sense.

I believe both these batteries are actually quite new (<3 years) - I will double check with the Seller.
            It might have been I left one of the accessory functions accidentally and it drained it?

Theoretically though, these could be recharged properly with an appropriate battery tender/charger? Or am I way off with that

Comment

One good freeze and a low battery is toast. So age is only part of the equation. It is possible to have left something on, draining the house bank. A good, but depleted battery, can be recharged and returned to service. A used up battery will not recharge to an acceptable level, and never be reliable.

Comment

I put 4 of these in my 08 RZ4 and have been very happy with them as a good all around dual purpose battery. They are listed as deep cycle but also have plenty of cranking amps (915). Best part is they are only about $100 each. I used to run interstate cranking batteries and deep cycle AGM batteries for the house. Between the cost and performance I have been very happy with these. I have 2 - 4 x 100 watt Fosgate amps running my in boat speakers, 2 Wetsounds Rev 10’s and a Rev 410 on the tower, along with an old Fosgate 1000bd running a JL 10w7... I have not had any issues with the house batteries when stopped for an hour or 2 listening to music. I do charge them with a 20a automatic charger and then plug them into a battery tender when I get home from each lake trip.

Centennial batteries DC24MF

Comment

Working...
                X