Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ballast is draining - but no leak in bag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ballast is draining - but no leak in bag?

Hi all - 2018 R23. I've been experiencing some passive draining in my rear right bag. The bags and fittings themselves are not leaking (positive on this). I also fill completely and plug the overflow and drain with 1" plugs to prevent passive draining when we surf. However, the bag slowly drains and we have to keep checking to refill to keep that side full. My assumption is that it's somehow draining back out through the fill line, i.e. there is some sort of check valve in the pump itself or upstream that is supposed to prevent this, but i'm really not sure, haven't seen one down low. Has anyone else experienced this and have a solution?

Not bringing back to dealer, already told them about it and their solution was to just replace the bags (warranty) even though I was fairly certain it was not the bags themselves leaking. Now that's confirmed as i have all brand new bags and fittings.

thanks in advance for any advice!

Sounds like youve ruled out the vent and drain, so this does leave the fill plumbing. No check valve in the pump. Tige would have had to install one in the fill line, between the pump and sac/tank. Determine which fill pump is for that location, then follow the hose to the sac/tank and see if its got a splice with a check valve in it.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

thanks chp... will check that next!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

You can also close the ball-valve on that inlet and see if the draining stops.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

The fill line should connect to top of bag. If you have slack, keep the highest point of fill hose above the bag. Water can’t go up unless there’s a suction.

My setup has a splitter to fill the in floor and plug n play bag at same time. The splitter is mounted vertical just behind the rear sit backs on each side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you are plugging the drain and vents and aren't leaking via bags then the only real option is a failed check valve on the fill line. Follow the fill line from the pump and you will find the grey check valve. You may have to pull the plastic triangle piece to find it. 4 screws

100% sure you aren't plugging the bilge drain line instead of drain/vent??

Only other thing I can think is a hole in a ballast line or loose fitting. Any water in the bilge after trips?? Auto bilge ever kick on??
            Last edited by freeheel4life; 04-25-2021, 02:50 AM.

Comment

thanks freeheel, that makes sense the fill line is at top, check valve and hose investigation are next steps. i do have a bilge leak but that's a separate annoying issue that dealer has also not addressed. i know this because bilge gets water even when bags are empty.

Comment

Gotcha. If you got that TAPS 3 swivel retro done it was fairly easy to accidentally pop a hole in the drain line.

Good luck

Comment

hmmm...i did have the swivel retro and then GSAs put in last year (leak in bilge actually started right after that) the plot thickens... I'll open up the rear bulkhead and check there, too. good call, thanks!

Comment

I've always had to pull the drain line out to find the leak. Be glad it's the stbd side and not port. You have to pull the batteries to work on that side

Comment

update... mystery solved.

when gsa was installed before last season underwater lights also had to be moved. one of the original holes had not been sealed all the way. put some water weld, no leak.

ballast bag also has a puncture... who knows how since it'sa "new" bag. patched it but still leaking a little. have asked dealer for a new bag.

glad it wasn't something more difficult.

Comment

Working...
                      X