Distributor screw wont lock down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distributor screw wont lock down!

Is that part under the screw shown in the diagram replaceable...I believe that's the part that's worn?

What a stupid situation!
    Attached Files

Did you take it off? Lots of times the hold down clamp is not straight. I bet that is the case with this and you have it upside down and now with the bend going up it doesn't clamp tight once the bolt is tight.

Comment

It lines up perfectly, just won't secure tight. Never removed the unit, only the cap.

Comment

So you can grab the distributor and twist it, changing the timing? Is the bolt tight? Maybe the wrong bolt is in it and is too long. Need to add a washer to it to shorten it up?

Comment

No, the screw will not fasten....I'm using two safety ties in the one hole. The rear screw is tight...I may find a longer screw and bolt to fasten it?

Comment

The part about which you're asking is replaceable but is not the issue. That part is the hold down clamp and the bolt threads into the block. But I'm really confused about how zip ties are being used for this, could you take a picture of your problem area and post it?
            Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Is the bolt hole stripped out in the block? If you, you'll either need to install an insert or try tapping the hole to the next larger size. Was probably 3/8" so try going to 7/16" bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by boatwakes View Post
                The part about which you're asking is replaceable but is not the issue. That part is the hold down clamp and the bolt threads into the block. But I'm really confused about how zip ties are being used for this, could you take a picture of your problem area and post it?
                There are two screws that secure the distributor cap...one of those two screws wont fasten down,.I was able to slide two safety ties into the hole to secure it. I assume I'll just find a longer screw and place a bolt on it?

Yeah, that schematic isn't showing the correct screw I have issue with.

Appreciate the questions!

Comment

AHA!!!! Okay, thats a super common problem with those caps and zip ties around the whole top of the cap are the only cheap fix without replacing the distributor. We've had to do it on a bunch so don't worry about it just as long as the zip ties are around the entire top of the distributor, that will keep the cap located and in place. If you replace the distributor, get the MSD unit which is not a plastic composite.

Comment

Best place to purchase?

MSD unit

Anyone know the exact model number for my application? 2005 Switch Ci Vortech 5700 340 hp.

TIA,

Comment

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/MSD-8...BoCDyUQAvD_BwE

You'll also need to replace the spark plug wires with regular female to female plug wires, the stock ones will not work.

Comment

Working...
                      X