Problem running Steering Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem running Steering Cable

I posted this yesterday in the General Discussion section so apologies for the double post.
    I am replacing my steering cable on my 07 22V...Ive read thru all the discussion about tips and suggestions but I cannot seem to figure out how to run the steering cable shaft (with it taped to the 1 1/8 nut) thru the floor. I took the corner piece off (thats held by 2 screws) under the helm area..and there is about a 2 inch hole to feed the cable thru....the problem is that the gas tank is about 3inches below the floor board and there isnt enough room to get 18inch or so cable shaft (that connects to the rudder) thru.
    Now..I have my amps mounted on the wall right infront of where your knees would be...so I have some limitations to approach angles...but I dont think that would matter.
    It almost appears as if I have to cut the hole out and make it bigger...but it boggles me that in all the posts...noone mentions this clearence issue????
    Ideas?

I'm also replacing my steering cable, but on my 2002 20' 2000V.

Here's how I did it: Drain the fuel tank (siphon), remove the forward engine cover and floorboard, disconnect the fuel filler hose at the rear of the tank, disconnect the vent hose from the port-side front of the tank in the passenger side storage compartment, remove the vent hose adapter from the tank, remove the angle brackets that support the floor, remove the screws holding the tank to the stringers in bilge then slide the tank aftward up against the v-drive. Then by lifting the tank I was able to get the cable out, but just barely.

Fortunately, I'd tied a thin rope to the cable when I pulled it out so I could use that as a pull string to pull the new cable back in from the rear at the engine and under the tank. I'd have never gotten the new cable run without the pull rope that I tied through the end of the cable and then around the cable above the nut.

The new cable went in quite easily, actually, once I lifted the tank as much as it could go in the little vertical space available.

If I'd had to remove the tank, I'd have had either to remove the v-drive from the engine, or unbolt and lift the whole engine assembly about eight inches so the tank could slide under the v-drive. That was not a welcome thought.

My gas tank, at least, has rubber strips underneath to isolate it from the floor. Those need to remain in place. Also, I was told by the shop that sold me the cable to lube it with grease on the outside behind the rubber "seal" of sorts that's supposed to keep water from entering the cable at the rear. Maybe that'll help a little.

Good luck. A new steering cable is a very nice thing to have after muscling through last year with the old one.

Comment

Working...
    X